A&H

Leaving the field of play

TSHudson

Level 6 Referee
Had an interesting one today! Half way through second half, CAR frantically waves me over at a stoppage. Says opposing winger on GKs and FKs is purposely going 1-2 yards off the pitch, to create a better angle to run onto the ball.
It actually made me think I didn’t know the sanction, if any, if that was true.
3.8 talks about re-entering without permission and says it’s not an offence if a player leaves as part of playing movement. But that wouldn’t apply here as he’s leaving at dead balls, not accidentally leaving while tackling or jostling for the ball etc.

I told the player to stop it, thanked the CAR for bringing it to my attention and thankfully that was the end of it. But if he’d carried on, any sanction?

The Referee Store
Make it more extreme... the attacker starts behind the goal at a corner and runs on to head a goal...?

Decision and restart?

IDFK at point of interference and YC?

Could you / would you apply the same if a winger sprinted onto a through ball starting from the running track behind the touchline?

All sounds like leaving the FOP during normal playing of the game (or whatever the book says). Play on... and all that

Maybe my misinterpretation, but I assume that relates to players leaving FOP during a tackle, while running next to a player etc, not deliberately leaving during a dead ball to gain an advantage
Referees are remembered for trifling with stuff that don't matter. This is a trifling matter IMO

IMHO, it is usually trifling, and at most I would tell a player to get back on the field. The time I would go past that would be if it was more convoluted and unsporting. For example, a calculated play where the player runs around behind the back of the goal in an effort to lose a defender on a set play. The only possible sanction is a caution. And if the ball is not in play at the time, the restart would not change.

The only time I'd penalise it is if they do it to deceive me or the opponents.

We had another thread about this not too long ago.

I'd say the common sense approach is the best one here. Have a word with the player, let him know that it's not acceptable, and tell him that it has to be a sanction if he carries on.

Not quite following this common sense. If I give a free kick say on the touch line and he steps out of the FOP to take the free kick, then are you saying I should have word with him that it is not acceptable? How would he take a corner kick?

Again, if done for a sinister reason then yes take action. But if as part of the game, don't make something out of nothing.

if done for a sinister reason then yes take action
What action though? YC for unsporting behaviour? I though it was trifling, but the defenders and CAR were making a massive deal about it and getting wound up. So thankfully he stopped after I had a word

What action though? YC for unsporting behaviour? I though it was trifling, but the defenders and CAR were making a massive deal about it and getting wound up. So thankfully he stopped after I had a word

Would they have been the same defenders and CAR that would say you can't say "leave it" even if it is to your own team mate as part of communicating with him?

The point being, you determine based on your judgment if action is needed. If it is needed, then the best way to deal with it is being preventative and stop from happening. To caution on the first occurrence or not is a YHTBT scenario but if it is for unsporting reasons and has been warned before, then a must caution on a repeat. However the OP doesn't sound like it was sinister. I can hardly think of any case when stepping off the field a yard or two for a goal kick is sinister. Let the CAR know it's part of normal playing movement and it is OK.

For leaving the field without permission. (But takes a lot to get there. )

I think you have to put a stop to it one way or another. The player should not be leaving FOP unless part of playing movement. Standing off the FOP, potentially impeding my ARs view/positioning, potentially behind/mixed up with subs/spectators, evading marking by defender trying to gain an unfair advantage doesn't quite fit the category for me. My understanding of 'as part of playing movement' has to include a ball and some obstruction somewhere.
Those saying play on, where are you drawing the line here? Particularly when on a public park where player could be 5-10--20 yards off FOP.
I agree it is trifling so a quiet, pack it in or I will have to do something about it should suffice.
I suppose the real question is that if he leaves and also Re enter w/o permission will anyone be brave enough to double yellow 🤣

It seems to me that we need to be clearer from the OP which players are leaving the FOP at GKs and FKs to "Create a better angle to run on to the ball". If we are talking about the player TAKING said dead balls then I see no problem; players leave the FOP to take corners and throw ins and no one cares a bit. If we are talking about players waiting to RECEIVE from GK or FK, then they cannot leave the field. Have a word (BEFORE the kick) and tell them so. If they persist then simply stop play as they run on and caution them for entering without permission.

Not quite following this common sense. If I give a free kick say on the touch line and he steps out of the FOP to take the free kick, then are you saying I should have word with him that it is not acceptable? How would he take a corner kick?
That's quite clearly not what's happening here. In the examples you give, the player is involved in a normal part of play (taking a dead ball restart) that actually requires them to be temporarily off the field in order to play the ball. The OP is a case of players who were not the ones taking the restart, and who had no need to leave the field for any other reason (that I can think of) except to gain a tactical advantage over the opponents.

If it's just a one-off, I'd say there's no need to worry about it but if they're doing it repeatedly, I'd be having a quiet word. Yes, there are all kinds of regular, run of the mill situations where a player, because of their involvement with the ball, will be off the field of play. This is not an example of that kind of situation.

That's quite clearly not what's happening here
It wasn't that clear to me until it was mentioned by @Ganajin and I had to re-read the OP. Have to agree if it is not the kick taker then it's unlikely to be part of normal play.

There is actually an explanation for when a player in offside position can and can not do this.

Screenshot_20191125-223255__01.jpg

Have to agree if it is not the kick taker then it's unlikely to be part of normal play.
Yea it was the winger, not the person taking the kick. So clearly for me not part of normal play and seeking to gain an unfair advantage.

There is actually an explanation for when a player in offside position can and can not do this.
But that only refers to if they're in an offside position though, the winger was not in an offside position, just 2 - 3 yards outside the FOP. For me, if they took that last sentence "A player who deliberately........"and put it under law 3.8, it would totally clear everything up. Makes it part of the law that they can't deliberately leave the FOP to gain an advantage, unless part of normal play, regardless of if they're in an offside position or not.

Back