A&H

Leaving the field at nearest point

bloovee

RefChat Addict
Background to this is that a couple of Sevilla fans at the Etihad were accused of racial abuse. I'm assuming it happened when City's 17-year-old Lewis was subbed late on, and although injured was told by the referee to take the long way round (he was nearer half way across the pitch than the touchline) and had to walk past the sparse Sevilla contingent.

Law says the player must leave by the nearest point on the boundary line unless the referee indicates that the player may leave directly and immediately at the halfway line or another point (e.g. for safety/security or injury).

I've no idea whether there's "secret guidance" on this but by the time it took the referee to stop Lewis and send him back, he'd have been halfway anyway.

It wasn't a volatile match but (think Cantona's reaction to abuse) "safety/security" could apply to any player waking past opposition fans. It was introduced to prevent time-wasting but (think GK and six seconds means 26) is it worth it for a few seconds?

(At the time I thought it was a bit pointless but it meant Lewis got applauded on the long walk round by City fans but the accusations came after.)

The Referee Store
it did seem overly officious of the ref considering the match situation, though obviously correct in law.

what happened (if it happened then) was absolutely unpredictable so I don't think anyone can be blamed however in the future players may be advised to avoid walking in front of the away end if asked to leave on the far side for a sub

It wasn't a volatile match but (think Cantona's reaction to abuse) "safety/security" could apply to any player waking past opposition fans. It was introduced to prevent time-wasting but (think GK and six seconds means 26) is it worth it for a few seconds?
Just another IFAB cop out cos they're not serious about dealing with time wasting

Reactions: es1
It was a dumb law change in the first place, just get them to go off quickly and add the time on. Sending them off on the far side risks conflict with the crowd, and possible confusion for the AR on offsides.

Trying to get players to leave quickly just creates more drama than is needed.
If the referee stops their watch why does it matter if a player takes 5 minutes to get off the field?

Trying to get players to leave quickly just creates more drama than is needed.
If the referee stops their watch why does it matter if a player takes 5 minutes to get off the field?
Two answers:
1) It's an offence under Law 12
2) It's used as a tactic to break up play and destroy the opponents' impetus

Back