A&H

Leaving FOP

boulderdomb

Hi All

Looking for some advice as seen in the Rangers game at the weekend - I'll try and find a video if I can.

Scenario:

1. Hibernian Goalkeeper taking goal kick and hits it to the right hand side of the half way line
  2. Hibernian right back is off the field of play
    1. Starts ON the FoP
  3. Hibernian right back runs back onto the field of play and heads the ball

Is this considered leaving the FoP without permission or is this acceptable?

The player done this multiple times throughout the game and none of the officials seemed to blink

The Referee Store
If the player is leaving the field of play so that they can get in a better position to play the ball, I'd argue no offence has been committed. Leaving 'as part of play' is allowed.

Hi All

Looking for some advice as seen in the Rangers game at the weekend - I'll try and find a video if I can.

Scenario:

1. Hibernian Goalkeeper taking goal kick and hits it to the right hand side of the half way line
  2. Hibernian right back is off the field of play
    1. Starts ON the FoP
  3. Hibernian right back runs back onto the field of play and heads the ball

Is this considered leaving the FoP without permission or is this acceptable?

The player done this multiple times throughout the game and none of the officials seemed to blink

Law 3.8 says "A player who crosses a boundary line as part of a playing movement, does not commit an offence."

Can you see any other reason the player "crossed the boundary line" other than "as part of a playing movement"?

I'd worry about it though if he pretends to be not part of play once he left to then catch the opponents off guard when he comes back on.

Last edited:
I've always thought of the "part of a playing movement" clause as being most usually applicable to a player involved in an ongoing, active play for the ball, such as a player running down the touchline who momentarily crosses the line in an effort to keep the ball in play or to avoid an opponent.

If on the other hand, a player is repeatedly taking up a stationary position off the pitch and waiting there while the ball is out of play and miles away from him, I think I'd be having a quiet word with him to stay on the field.

Back