A&H

"Leave it"

I caused an almost riot giving a retake of a penalty for a home CH shouting at full volume 'he's missed it' on a penalty run up....GK manager in the net saved it (Worldie) and to say he wasn't best pleased with my decision is an understatement... But, IMO, he put him off....Retake & 2 x YC's :)

The Referee Store
Right, allow me to retrieve my soap from wherever I left it after this topic last came up.

OK, found it and proudly perched upon it. It is NOT an offence to shout mine, leave it, move, etc, or nor is it a requirement, as so many players believe, to "put a name on it". What is an offence is to deliberately make any sound or gesture that is deliberately intended to distract an opponent, and it appears that this is what Arter did here.

Which then goes onto what so many referees get wrong, in that they penalise the distraction but then don't caution. That is totally and utterly wrong, and those referees doing this are perpetuating the myth that you "have to put a name on it". For those still not convinced, ask yourself what you are stopping play for. The only thing you can stop play for here is an act of misconduct by a player that is punishable by a caution. If you don't stop play for the caution you have absolutely nothing to stop play for, so have to play on.

I will now return the soap box to the loft for another year . :)

I think the Wednesday players are still looking for that soap Rusty, somewhere in the Bolton showers!!!! They may be some time!!!

Last season was reffing a semi final in a senior competition and Red midfielder made bird noises whilst trying to hold of a defender - I blew and gave the FK, the look of shock ok everyone's faces was incredible. Don't think anyone on the pitch had seen it before, and a couple of the players were ex stevenage borough!

Have to explain the 'he said leave it, ref, you can't say that' about 20 times a season. Rarely ever have to actually give a free kick for it as generally no infringement takes place, however did have a stern word with a few centre backs last year as a player was about to take a penalty they were giving it large. Warned them that if they continued after he started his run up they would be carded and retake if he missed. The usual we can say what we like it's part of the game nuisance, however, they did keep quiet after I blew the whistle and the goal was scored.

Educate the idiot commentators....Stephen Gerard (LFC supporter) at the weekend....what about the rule the forward gets the advantage in the offside....it was never an offside only his foot was offside and therefore it shouldn't have been offside?? :facepalm::mad:

Back