A&H

"Leave it/mine"

sean630

Level 7 Referee
I'm sure there's been a discussion on this before but, as a newbie-(ish), just wanted a bit of clarification.

First half today - Orange v White. The Whites clear a corner in the vicinity of two Orange attackers on the edge of the area - no defender within about ten yards of them (marking was shoddy). One tells his mate to "leave it" or words to that effect, he does so and his mate proceeds to ping one into the bottom corner.

Cue the Whites gathering in my face demanding that I disallow the goal because he hadn't put a name on it.

I informed the White team (and their manager who claimed he had serious "issues" with this decision after the match) that there was no deliberate attempt to distract them - the shout was very clearly to his mate - and that it made zero impact on the play (the defenders attempted to close the shot down regardless, the whinging was a bit of an afterthought).

Reasonable call?

The Referee Store
I reckon that's reasonable - no reason for it to be disallowed - laws were followed well. Good shout.

Welcome to refchat mate. :)

You are 100% correct. Players can shout whatever the they like as long as it is not OFFINABUS (or dissent) or that it is not an attempt to distract an opponent while the ball is in play or at a restart (unsporting behaviour caution and idfk).

Players hold the myth that you are only allowed to shout your name :rolleyes: It doesn't help that some of our refereeing colleagues also do not know the laws of the game as well as they should and actually give this sort of thing as a foul (but no caution) :mad:

Good on you for getting it right.

Im amazed that this "myth" is still being questioned. Would have thought the players would know by now. Oh wait..........

Welcome to RefChat @sean630 by the way :D

I always get these types of incidents. Once we are back playing, I like to run along side the player who has been moaning the most about it, who believes he is right and calmly advise, If I deem a word and / or action to be a deliberate attempt to distract then I will deal with it, to which I refer to the incident that had just occured that It clearly wasn't.

That usually does the trick, it does not matter what happens, players given the chance will moan / complain about anything, even a throw in on the halfway line like it was a last minute penalty kick in a cup final

Back