A&H

League averages step5/6

RMref

Level 4 Referee
Just had our merit table sent out.

I wondered what the observer averages our in peoples leagues?

Ours is 71.5 which seems like an exceptionally high average with the new report.

Any thoughts?

The Referee Store
We don't have an average but reckon our pool is a shade higher

Cos obviously we're better in the North!

For reference I'm averaging just over 72 and I'm at the bottom of what would have been band B last year

Marks have certainly appeared to be higher than originally anticipated with the new marking scheme

Marks have certainly appeared to be higher than originally anticipated with the new marking scheme
yeh for sure.
If you get 'expected' in everything, it puts you very low on the merit table, which suggests that its not quite as expected 🤔

I'm safe this year as its my first at L4 but I've had 2 observervations, averaging 70.4 and its put me very very low! However I'm top 50% for club marks 🙄

yeh for sure.
If you get 'expected' in everything, it puts you very low on the merit table, which suggests that its not quite as expected 🤔

I'm safe this year as its my first at L4 but I've had 2 observervations, averaging 70.4 and its put me very very low! However I'm top 50% for club marks 🙄
I wouldn't worry too much about the observer marks at the moment, just take any feedback on board and apply it going forward. I had some low marks during my first season at 4 too!

Yep I agree with that. Definitely a big learning curve as a first year L4, especially with observers.

Looking forward to getting back to it after a bit of a stop start season so far!

It has long been thought that some observers intentionally mark first year referees lower as they know they are safe and it lets them keep their average mark down and away from any scrutiny. Probably harder now with the new form, but still technically possible. When I've coached referees I've urged them not to voluntarily offer up that they are first year, obviously if they are directly asked it would be wrong not to tell the truth, but no need to publicise it. And not just the observer, you don't really want the players knowing your are first year as some will play on it and try to influence you more.

Back