A&H

Laws of the game test L6

I compare it to the driving exam, ok I sat that under the older version, however, you needed to know all kinda distances, or signs, etc, that has never been needed to be quoted 30 years later.
Modern day standards I'm afraid. Prevalent in all aspects of life. ;)

"Near enough is good enough". :wtf:

Cynical of Somerset. :D

The Referee Store
This week's Dutch LOTG test is also an illustration of one of the challenges - the answer to Q4 is correct in Law, but in practice it's not applied to the letter and for a Sunday Morning parks game, it's irrelevant anyway.

I agree we all have a duty to know the Laws as well as we can, but with the best will in the world we can't expect everyone to remember every word and do that in a few seconds in the heat of the moment. On a recent training event, we did a practice quiz that had been recently given to SG2 referees on a training day. Granted it dug into some of the nooks and crannies of the Laws, but I know very few of that illustrious SG2 group got them all correct !
To take your first point, in another thread we have a new referee about to be 4th official in a County Cup Final, managing the technical areas - an example of needing to know the LOTG.

To take your first point, in another thread we have a new referee about to be 4th official in a County Cup Final, managing the technical areas - an example of needing to know the LOTG.
Point taken, although realistically if he has never had to apply that part of the Laws, he is going to have to read up on them before the game (and as importantly the Competition Rules). It would be the same for me with VAR related Laws. I've read them, not wholly ignorant of them and see them enacted for better or worse on the television, but not relevant to my games so not absorbed comprehensively enough to apply.

It also leaves the point that literal application of that Law is not going to be what the referee will want, so pre-match instructions are important as well as being able to recite the Law - i.e. knowing the Laws is necessary, but not sufficient.

Back