A&H

Law exam- question on advantage

The Referee Store
I’m one of the referees that delays the signal, once the tackle is made I’m looking at the next move, does he take a player on, does he make the pass etc. Once that has been carried out, then the signal goes up.

I’m always conscious that if I signal straight away and the player loses the ball for whatever reason and I have to pull it back, that it looks like I basically just signal advantage because he’s still in possession which isn’t always an advantage

Great thread.

I once played advantage in a banger or a men's league game. Attacking player in the box dribbles around a defender while getting a severe chopping at his legs, I show the arm out. Attackers somehow manage to get a shot off while falling down straight to the keeper. I am still not sure I got this one right. I awarded the PK. In my mind that it was enough of a foul to warrant a PK regardless of the attempt on goal and I really did not think he would have gotten a shot off.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated as well. Mahalo.

they protested what about the advantage. I told them I played advantage and then blew for a penalty. I got an earful but think I made the right call. I also posted this on a USA based ref forum.....but we are a bunch of nimwits here and I agree with that!

Ok, see my earlier posts about two bytes at the cherry. What you have done is given the attackers two chances (or a chance and half) which in my opinion is punishing the defenders more than they should have.

An offence in the area is punished with a penalty kick. Balance restored. But in effected what you did was tell the attackers to have a go, if you miss you still get a penalty. That works in rugby but not in football.

If the shot was taken very quickly before you had a chance to blow the whistle then not much you can do but in your case you had enough to time given that you actually signalled advantage.

If you read the whole thread, not everyone agrees with me on this view.

Mahalo for your reply. The shot was taken within a second. All of this happened under two seconds. Id say on the nearer side of a second. I did lower my arm when I first saw it and a second later I blew my whistle.

My thoughts are not what I did or did not do. But what are your thoughts on advantage in the PA and have you ever encountered this?

I never play advantage in the PA unless the ball is rolling in. I don't recommend it either. I have never seen it (except in YouTube clips) as in Australia once you signal advantage, you can not bring play back.

The ones I have seen on videos have all lead to problems when a goal was not scored, no matter if you subsequently award a penalty kick or not.

Hope this helps.

I never play advantage in the PA unless the ball is rolling in. I don't recommend it either. I have never seen it (except in YouTube clips) as in Australia once you signal advantage, you can not bring play back.

The ones I have seen on videos have all lead to problems when a goal was not scored, no matter if you subsequently award a penalty kick or not.

Hope this helps.
Out of interest, have you got a law reference for this statement? I was under the impression observers don't like this because they think it looks untidy/indecisive, rather than because it was actively against the LOTG?

Nothing in lotg says that when you have signalled advantage you cannot bring it back

If it were to happen, once in a game, then so be it

Five or six times and you would be advising the referee not to be so keen with his signals

Out of interest, have you got a law reference for this statement?
Not a word for word quote but a very plausible interpretation of Law 5 (just as with many other applications of the law).

First things first, the signalling convention in law is clear. You signal for something when you apply an applicable law, its never in anticipation of an application of law. Same goes for advantage. You signal it when you have applied (played) advantage.

1542021326529.png

The key words to note here are:
  • allows play to continue... from the advantage : This means if you play advantage (signalled*), you are allowing play to continue.
  • penalise the offence... anticipated advantage: If you bring play back, you have anticipated advantage (but not applied it).
* The other implication of this interpretation is that you do not signal until you know the non-offending team is benefiting.

And below reinforces the interpretation (although from a different context)

1542022352561.png

Great thread.

I once played advantage in a banger or a men's league game. Attacking player in the box dribbles around a defender while getting a severe chopping at his legs, I show the arm out. Attackers somehow manage to get a shot off while falling down straight to the keeper. I am still not sure I got this one right. I awarded the PK. In my mind that it was enough of a foul to warrant a PK regardless of the attempt on goal and I really did not think he would have gotten a shot off.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated as well. Mahalo.
I would actually say he was right to bring it back for the pen because of the sentence in bold. The fact he was falling as he got the shot off would be enough to bring it back as he didn't really gain a fair advantage

Back