A&H

Law exam- question on advantage

Abeverley

Hi guys. Did my law exam this evening. Pretty straight forward stuff. I was chatting to the instructor after about one of the questions relating to advantage.
The question was something like: true or false- after giving advantage you can bring back play for a free kick if it doesn’t turn into advantage after a few seconds.

I put false. It was my understanding that once advantage had been signaled for you shouldn’t bring it back as it’s giving 2 bites of the cherry.
In my games I’ve always waited those few seconds and then either said and signaled advantage or blown for free kick.
The instructor told me this was wrong.
I’m sure I’ve read here about waiting etc.

The Referee Store
if there is no advantage within the first few seconds blow your whistle and shout no advantage. It makes it clear what you have stopped for.Your tutor is bang on

Hi guys. Did my law exam this evening. Pretty straight forward stuff. I was chatting to the instructor after about one of the questions relating to advantage.
The question was something like: true or false- after giving advantage you can bring back play for a free kick if it doesn’t turn into advantage after a few seconds.

I put false. It was my understanding that once advantage had been signaled for you shouldn’t bring it back as it’s giving 2 bites of the cherry.
In my games I’ve always waited those few seconds and then either said and signaled advantage or blown for free kick.
The instructor told me this was wrong.
I’m sure I’ve read here about waiting etc.
I believe I know which discussion on here you are referring to. You were reading about a preference in the way to apply advantage by waiting a few seconds before signalling anything (instead of immediately signalling). This does NOT mean that you can never come back after signalling.

You can signal immediately, then come back if it is not an advantage (up to around 3 seconds).
OR
Delay for the 3 seconds (no signal, whistle to mouth) then blow up if no advantage.

You are still giving it that 3 seconds to develop in both cases.

2 bites of the cherry would be coming back after 3 seconds in the first case.
OR
coming back after signalling, again the same time-frame, in the second case.

It is just a preference.

In one of my recent games, I played it 3 times. More than I had in the 4 previous active seasons
I think I’ve played it once- and that was open age. In my youth games the quality isn’t there to apply it really. I think they’re better with a free kick as play can be described as unpredictable at best.
I give about 10 dangerous play free kicks per game tho lol. My local teams seem to have a fear of heading the ball so there are often feet flying everywhere.

A very poor true/false 'LOTG' exam question. Especialy if in England where the correct answer is true for some referees and false for some other.

Sounds like the question was referring to the wording in the book, rather than the 'advanced' subject discussion here on RefChat!
I consider 'playing the advantage' a weak part of my game. Most frequently, I stop the game too quickly. If I play on, I'm hesitant and unclear with my signalling of advantage. In OA games, the players (particularly the player in possession) usually want advantage, but continually playing it has the potential to lead to problems

Reactions: JH
Sounds like the question was referring to the wording in the book, rather than the 'advanced' subject discussion here on RefChat!
I consider 'playing the advantage' a weak part of my game. Most frequently, I stop the game too quickly. If I play on, I'm hesitant and unclear with my signalling of advantage. In OA games, the players (particularly the player in possession) usually want advantage, but continually playing it has the potential to lead to problems
Yeah I think it’s one of those where the isn’t 100% clear and I guess my only experience (limited) is being in matches and chatting on here.
Oh well, not to worry.

Having a look at this again I am fairly certain the question in the exam was somewhat different to the way you have put to make it a definitive answer.

Here is what the law says:
allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage and penalises the offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds

A good law question will be: "Can you penalise an offence if an anticipated advantage does not ensue within a few seconds?" the answer is most certainly yes. However if you start the question with "after giving advantage ..." that mean the anticipated advantage has already ensued and you can not penalise the offence anymore even if within a few seconds.

An ambiguity in law causes advantage to be applied inconsistently. The law does not state if the the advantage signal is to be given when an advantage is anticipated or when it has ensued. It makes a big difference in the way it is applied.

Having a look at this again I am fairly certain the question in the exam was somewhat different to the way you have put to make it a definitive answer.

Here is what the law says:

A good law question will be: "Can you penalise an offence if an anticipated advantage does not ensue within a few seconds?" the answer is most certainly yes. However if you start the question with "after giving advantage ..." that mean the anticipated advantage has already ensued and you can not penalise the offence anymore even if within a few seconds.

An ambiguity in law causes advantage to be applied inconsistently. The law does not state if the the advantage signal is to be given when an advantage is anticipated or when it has ensued. It makes a big difference in the way it is applied.
I paraphrased the question as couldn’t remember exact wording but it said 100% AFTER advantage has been given.

Really? We were told on the night. I thought that was the norm
He said 6 people failed. He didn’t tell me I’d failed and I think they did speak to those who did.
The exam was very straight forward (apart from this question). I’m sure I’m in the level 7 brigade lol

He said 6 people failed. He didn’t tell me I’d failed and I think they did speak to those who did.
The exam was very straight forward (apart from this question). I’m sure I’m in the level 7 brigade lol
If you were clueless, you'd have been sniffed out on RefChat. I always remember my first post on here;
"You won't find the word deliberate in the book". I was only wrong on several dozen counts!
And I think I got 39/42 for the test, so you ought to be OK :confused:

If you were clueless, you'd have been sniffed out on RefChat. I always remember my first post on here;
"You won't find the word deliberate in the book". I was quickly educated about dozens of references to deliberate or intent!!!
And I think I got 39/42 fir the test, so you ought to be OK :confused:

Ha ha. Yes. I’d have had it from one of the guys on here for sure lol.

Regardless of the result, don't fret too much. If it means a retake, it's a retake. But it's not the end of the world.

I was on an in-service training recently where a large number of the group failed the exam, and these were people going for promotion having already passed the exam once. It's as if they passed it and thought they knew it and didn't need to keep reminding themselves of the laws/keep up to date.

But let me also welcome you to us. I'm sure you'll be climbing the refereeing ladder in no time.

Back