A&H

Law 5 - reversing a decision before the restart of play

Brian Hamilton

RefChat Addict
Observer/Tutor
Referee decides he is going to abandon the game. Blows his whistle and says it is abandoned. Can he change his mind and continue the game?

Answers in terms of law only please, not opinion, not practical advice, just the law. I've given my answer to the person who asked me. I wanted to see what the forum thought?

The Referee Store
Referee decides he is going to abandon the game. Blows his whistle and says it is abandoned. Can he change his mind and continue the game?

Answers in terms of law only please, not opinion, not practical advice, just the law. I've given my answer to the person who asked me. I wanted to see what the forum thought?

The referee may not change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official if play has restarted or the referee has signalled the end of the first or second half (including extra time) and left the field of play or terminated the match.

Once the referee has "abandoned" the game, he has "terminated the match" and may not change their decision.

@Brian Hamilton are we allowed to know for what reason the match was abandoned? I think this is key when asking about law.
My thoughts are yes, he could, theoretically i can't find anything to suggest otherwise if say for example it was for misconduxt reasons he had arrived at the decision to abandon.

However there are some scanarios in law that says he cannot, for example if a team is reduced to less than 7 players or inadequate floodlighting.

@Brian Hamilton are we allowed to know for what reason the match was abandoned? I think this is key when asking about law.
My thoughts are yes, he could, theoretically i can't find anything to suggest otherwise if say for example it was for misconduxt reasons he had arrived at the decision to abandon.

However there are some scanarios in law that says he cannot, for example if a team is reduced to less than 7 players or inadequate floodlighting.
Would have told you if I knew. @Padfoot has done the hard work for me - thank you. I'm a little jaded today after spending last night at Metallica in Manchester and being visited by 2 of 4 grandchildren today #faded

Am I correct in saying you can’t change a decision after terminating a game by abandoning even though you are still on the FOP, even though you can change a decision after terminating the game by blowing full time but you are still on the FOP?

And where does suspending the game come into this (e.g., suspended the game for 15 min for the floodlights to come back on)? Can you change a decision during that time? If so can you do it after going off the FOP?

Would have told you if I knew. @Padfoot has done the hard work for me - thank you. I'm a little jaded today after spending last night at Metallica in Manchester and being visited by 2 of 4 grandchildren today #faded
BS. Metallica? Assessors/Inspectors/Coaches/Supervisors/Moniterers/Bush-hiders/Match-markers/whatever-the-heck-you-call-yourselves-this-season aren't cool, everybody knows that.

I know there have been cases of a referee blowing for the end of the match, then realising he blew too early and resumed the end of the match.

BS. Metallica? Assessors/Inspectors/Coaches/Supervisors/Moniterers/Bush-hiders/Match-markers/whatever-the-heck-you-call-yourselves-this-season aren't cool, everybody knows that.

I know there have been cases of a referee blowing for the end of the match, then realising he blew too early and resumed the end of the match.
Five Finger Death Punch, Alice Cooper, The Mission, The Tubes, Queen feat. Adam Lambert, Stone Sour and Ricky Gervais before Christmas

Five Finger Death Punch, Alice Cooper, The Mission, The Tubes, Queen feat. Adam Lambert, Stone Sour and Ricky Gervais before Christmas
With that demand on your time, when are you going to be able to assess and write the reports and that is even before having to go to work!!!!!

Back