A&H

Law 12

Nalbi

Level 4 Referee
Right in the middle of my review for the promotion seminar tonight :drown::drown: i got confused by a question posted on the arereferee.com website.

What is the correct restart if a player during play leaves the FOP to violently strike a team official from the opposition?

I answered as RC + DFK on the boundary line nearest to the offence. Which was flagged as wrong and the correct answer should have been an IFK!

I'm so confused now. Quoting directly from section 4

" If, when the ball is in play:
•• a player commits an offence against a match official or an opposing player,
substitute, substituted or sent off player, or team official outside the field
of play or
•• a substitute, substituted or sent off player, or team official commits an
offence against, or interferes with, an opposing player or match official
outside the field of play,
play is restarted with a free kick on the boundary line nearest to where the
offence/interference occurred; a penalty kick is awarded if this is a direct free
kick offence within the offender’s penalty area."

Violent conduct last time i checked was a DFK offence!!! :hmmm::confused::confused::confused::hmmm::hmmm:

The Referee Store
and then the FAQ section on the IFAB website
"Q6: Why is an offence against someone who is not an opponent now a direct free kick? Does this include dissent/offensive language?
If, for example, a player strikes a team-mate, substitute, team official or, perhaps even worse, a match official this is serious but only restarting with an IDFK suggested that the offence was not serious so it is now a direct free kick for any offence (directly) against anyone (except an opponent)."

I would certainly be inclined to agree with your answer on grounds of common sense, but maybe technically the first offence committed was leaving the FOP without permission? Although the card colour would be determined by which incident was the most severe, in theory you stopped play at the split second the player left the pitch? And the restart for leaving without permission would be an IFK.

Doesn't seem right to me, but I can just about see why there might be an argument for an IFK there?

Agree with Graeme here player leaves field of play first so IFK, but doesn't look right giving a red followed by an IDF. Maybe @Brian Hamilton could give us his expectation of sanctions in this scenario as an assessor?

Both answers can be correct depending on if you decide to play advantage on the leaving of the FOP offence which you are entitled to do so.

The question should include when you stopped play, after the player leaving the FOP or after the violent strike.

Again (as noted in 2-3 other discussions here), the areferee site quiz is using a FIFA quiz from a few years ago and not all of the questions/answers have been updated to match up with the new Laws. Unfortunately.

I think the restart is dependent on the nature of the offence, that's why the law reads "penalty kick is awarded if this is a direct free kick offence within the offender’s penalty area". That's why I would be indicating a DFK/PK rather an IFK since the offence is actually a foul under DFK rather than IFK.

The only justification for an IFK restart would be if the quiz meant to say that the player struck a spectator. Although law 12 suggests a dropped ball restart for an offence against 'any other person', surely there is no conceivable scenario in which a player can (in play) leave the field without infringing C7?

This is a law change from 16-17 that hasnt been updated in areferee.

Restart of play after fouls and misconduct
Old text New text
If the ball is in play and a player
commits an offence inside the field of
play against:
• (…)
• a team mate, substitute, substituted
player, team official or match official
– a direct free kick or penalty kick (…)
commits an offence outside the field of
play:
• if the player is already off the field
of play, play is restarted with a
dropped ball
if the player leaves the field of play
to commit the offence, play is
restarted with an indirect free kick
from the position of the ball when
play was stopped.
However, if a
player leaves the field of play as part
of play and commits an offence
against another player, play is
restarted with a free kick taken on
the boundary line nearest to where
the offence occurred; for direct free
kick offences, a penalty kick is
awarded if this is within the
offender’s penalty area.
commits an offence inside the field of
play:
• (…)
• a team mate, substitute, substituted
or sent off player, team official or
match official – a direct free kick or
penalty kick (…)
If, when the ball is in play:
a player commits an offence against
a match official or an opposing
player, substitute, substituted or
sent off player, or team official
outside the field of play or
• a substitute, substituted or sent off
player, or team official commits an
offence against, or interferes with,
an opposing player or match official
play is restarted with a free kick on the
boundary line nearest to where the
offence/interference occurred; a
penalty kick is awarded if this is a
direct free kick offence within the
offender’s penalty area.

It actually says no change just clearer wording but I would beg to differ.

Right in the middle of my review for the promotion seminar tonight :drown::drown: i got confused by a question posted on the arereferee.com website.

What is the correct restart if a player during play leaves the FOP to violently strike a team official from the opposition?

I answered as RC + DFK on the boundary line nearest to the offence. Which was flagged as wrong and the correct answer should have been an IFK!

I'm so confused now. Quoting directly from section 4

" If, when the ball is in play:
•• a player commits an offence against a match official or an opposing player,
substitute, substituted or sent off player, or team official outside the field
of play or
•• a substitute, substituted or sent off player, or team official commits an
offence against, or interferes with, an opposing player or match official
play is restarted with a free kick on the boundary line nearest to where the
offence/interference occurred; a penalty kick is awarded if this is a direct free
kick offence within the offender’s penalty area."

Violent conduct last time i checked was a DFK offence!!! :hmmm::confused::confused::confused::hmmm::hmmm:
The correct answer is to click the "report errors" button on the areferee.com GUI after you have selected your answer, and to explain to them that there is not enough information in their question for a conclusive answer and/or areferee.com has the wrong answer. They've updated the question pool really well since the new laws IMHO and the quiz is a really valuable resource.

Agree with Graeme here player leaves field of play first so IFK, but doesn't look right giving a red followed by an IDF. Maybe @Brian Hamilton could give us his expectation of sanctions in this scenario as an assessor?
areferee.com is wrong, which is why I don't recommend them for revision.

When a player commits two offences at the same time, the principle of no surprises applies here. If the offender hits someone, everyone expects them to be sent off. If they are sent off for a striking offence, the restart is a DFK. This may not be spelt out line by line in the good book for you but if you consider a logical thought process, a DFK is the only "right" outcome.

areferee.com is wrong, which is why I don't recommend them for revision.

When a player commits two offences at the same time, the principle of no surprises applies here. If the offender hits someone, everyone expects them to be sent off. If they are sent off for a striking offence, the restart is a DFK. This may not be spelt out line by line in the good book for you but if you consider a logical thought process, a DFK is the only "right" outcome.
But in this case the two offences were not committed at the same time. Although by the same player, one clearly happened after the other (or in quick succession as the latest IFAB circular refers to them). You can only restart according to the striking offence if you have played advantage for the first offence.
If you did not play advantage then the ball was no longer in play when the striking happened. You can not determine the restart on an action when the ball was not in play.

OP question is no different to this 'quiz' question: While the ball is in play a player is carelessly pushed by an opponent. The player then immediately violently strikes the opponent. Which team restarts the game?

The answer is simple, (unless you have played advantage on the careless push) the player gets sent off for VC but his team gets the free kick, even if everyone expects the free kick to be for the VC.

Last edited:
But in this case the two offences were not committed at the same time. Although by the same player, one clearly happened after the other (or in quick succession as the latest IFAB circular refers to them). You can only restart according to the striking offence if you have played advantage for the first offence.
If you did not play advantage then the ball was no longer in play when the striking happened. You can not determine the restart on an action when the ball was not in play.

OP question is no different to this 'quiz' question: While the ball is in play a player is carelessly pushed by an opponent. The player then immediately violently strikes the opponent. Which team restarts the game?

The answer is simple, (unless you have played advantage on the careless push) the player gets sent off for VC but his team gets the free kick, even if everyone expects the free kick to be for the VC.
Had this exact scenario recently... on a few occasions in fact.
Player fouled, carelessly or recklessly. Blow whistle. VC reaction. Whilst his team still gets free kick he gets an early bath.

Reactions: one

Referee is the sole timekeeper, so if I said they happened at the same time, they happened at the same time ;)

Several of the responses here seem to suggest that because the player leaving the field occurred first, that's the offence that dictates the restart. I thank that's both flawed logic and goes against what the laws of the game clearly say. When a player leaves the field without permission it's an offence to be sure, but not one for which you need to stop play - for instance, if the player leaves the field and does nothing, you don't have to stop play, you can just wait for the next stoppage before taking whatever action you deem necessary.

The various passages from the law that are quoted above, also say that the type of restart after a player leaves the field and commits an offence while off the field, depends on the the nature of that subsequent offence, not the leaving the field offence. It's not so much a question of playing the advantage as it is the simple fact that you don't need to stop play at all for the player leaving without permission, only if they then commit another offence.

So just as if the player had left the field and done nothing, the restart would be whatever play had been stopped for before you caution the player, the restart here is decided by what they did after leaving the field, not the act of leaving the field itself.

Last edited:
To bring it back to the OP, I'm only trying to think of a way that an IFK could be the correct restart - I'd be going DFK all day as soon as a punch is thrown.

Back