A&H

Law 11 change next season

matty639

Level 5 Referee
Copied off another site:

Note this is for next season.

This was agreed by FIFA IFAB Annual General Meeting today.

Hope I am not to late with the news

Law 11 – Offside Interpretation of the Laws of the Game
(i) Discussion on "interfering with an opponent/gaining an advantage" (submitted by FIFA)
Present text (amended AGM 2012)

OLD LAW
In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
(…
 "interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate
 "interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball.
 "gaining an advantage by being in that position" means playing a ball
(i) that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position
(ii) that rebounds, deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.

NEW LAW
Proposed text

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
(…)
 "interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate
 "interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent
 "gaining an advantage by being in that position" means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a goalpost or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position

Reason
The current wording creates many discussions as it gives too much room for interpretation and is not precise enough. The new text is more in line with actual game situations and will eliminate the confusion regarding what is meant by rebound, deflection and when the ball has been deliberately saved.

The Referee Store
That should make things a bit easier. I always wondered what we should do if a player in an offside position receives the ball when his team mate passes to him and it is deflected slightly by a defender between the two of them. As far as I see he commits an offside offence, but you always get them moaning that it hasn't now been played to him as it came from a defender. The "old" law would suggest that he has gained an advantage, but the "new" law would suggest that he hasn't as it has not "rebounded".

In fairness how many of the players have properly read Law 11 to begin with lol.

Seems better, but as Matty said, few players know of the magic book let alone having taken time to read it! Which may or may not have been the case for me also before taking up the whistle...

Back