A&H

Last MOTD of the season :(

Reffariiii

RefChat Addict
To be honest, I know it was a lot of games/retirements, but the programme last night seemed pretty shabby in comparison to usual MOTD standards.

Anyhow, any opinions on the 2 Spurs 'penalties'?

For me, the first one was obvious, and AM should have spotted it. He didn't, fine, but to then book Bale for a 'dive' was inexcusable. It didn't look as if Bale made the most of it even. Talk about booking a players reputation!

The second one, still a penalty, but not so easy for the officials to spot.

Thankfully, these didn't effect the league standings!

The Referee Store
Just watched MOTD

the first one was a def pen. how he didn't spot it I will me we know - could it be down to bad position? Not saying I'm an expert but at that level you should be spot on.

The 2nd one I'm not sure. He tried to get out the way - could you honestly say that was intentional handball ....

Just watched MOTD

the first one was a def pen. how he didn't spot it I will me we know - could it be down to bad position? Not saying I'm an expert but at that level you should be spot on.

The 2nd one I'm not sure. He tried to get out the way - could you honestly say that was intentional handball ....
He was severely behind play.

No, I don't think you could call it intentional but how many handball fouls are intentional?! His hand wern't in a natural position, and he blocked the ball.

The LoTG say intentional. I know what you mean but in his defence he was try to move out the way.

But I do see what you mean about the arm.

IMO no pen

The second was more of a penalty than the first. It's a save. Cuellar knew what he was doing (he's done the same before).

As for Bale, the boy who cried wolf springs to mind, and as for the petulant reaction afterwards, he deserved a caution just for that.

Reputation going before him... how did he get that reputation?

The second was more of a penalty than the first. It's a save. Cuellar knew what he was doing (he's done the same before).

As for Bale, the boy who cried wolf springs to mind, and as for the petulant reaction afterwards, he deserved a caution just for that.

No chance. He has every right to react like that, stone wall penalty.

If AM had just waved him to get up then fair enough, but to book him for diving is terrible.

Tealeaf said:

I'm sorry to say mate - but you have gone down in my estimation. How on earth can grabbing hold of someone's shoulder AND arm be less of a pen than diving on the ground and could be seen and trying to turn his back on the ball when it hits his upper arm/shoulder??

Managed to miss MOTD

Somehow managed to get called into work to fix the network. Wouldn't mind but that ain't my job :p

Anywho, seems to me that it is indeed a boy who called wolf situation with Bale. I've only read comments on space book and twitter, but everyone has said (except spurs fans) that his reputation has gone before him. Although saying that AM was too far away to have given it

Cuellar has done exactly that before. He has blocked the ball and then tried to turn and got away with it. He did it at least once up in Scotland.

The point I am making is that the second one should definitely have been given, irrespective of what happened the first time around.

If Bale's reaction is not dissent by action (a tantrum) I don't know what is.

Cuellar has done exactly that before. He has blocked the ball and then tried to turn and got away with it. He did it at least once up in Scotland.

The point I am making is that the second one should definitely have been given, irrespective of what happened the first time around.

If Bale's reaction is not dissent by action (a tantrum) I don't know what is.
I'd say its more frustration/anger/disappointment at 1) being fouled, 2) not being given a penalty and 3) being booked for diving in a match that they had to win, as opposed to dissent.

Are you saying you would caution every player that reacts like that?!

Average this season is under one per game so no. I find it a litlle odd that I am being lambasted here for suggeting that
1: His actions were worthy of a dissent caution. My 2 year old throws strops in exactly the same manner.
2: That the Cuellar handball should have been a penalty too.

At no point have I said that Bale dived, or even defended the referee here, yet I am criticised? Okie dokieeeee

I find it a litlle odd that I am being lambasted here for suggeting that.....

At no point have I said that Bale dived, or even defended the referee here, yet I am criticised?

Just like in a game;) Give him a yellow.

Average this season is under one per game so no. I find it a litlle odd that I am being lambasted here for suggeting that
1: His actions were worthy of a dissent caution. My 2 year old throws strops in exactly the same manner.
2: That the Cuellar handball should have been a penalty too.

At no point have I said that Bale dived, or even defended the referee here, yet I am criticised? Okie dokieeeee
I'm not saying you have, I am just saying that I would find it very difficult to caution Bale for his reaction.

Back