A&H

Open Age Lash out off the field of play

Wolfy123

The ball has gone out of play for a throw, a player from either side has run towards the ball and are off the field of play. One takes a swing at the other, in an aggressive manner, with his right foot and trips his opponent who falls to the floor.
How should play be restarted? Throw in/free kick?
And what repercussions for the offending player?

The Referee Store
Any time the ball is out of play (including when on the field but waiting for a free kick), further misconduct doesn't change the restart.

I'd argue that as described, it could be either yellow or red. But other than that, agree with the others - you delay the restart, issue the card and then restart as you otherwise would.

it was the taking swing that made the scene in my head a red , rather than a yellow for aggression. I would say someone taking a swing at someone whilst partaking in a game of football is guilty of an act of brutality.

unless you class it as acceptable to take swings (or indeed lashing out as the OP describes)

as we know, the contact matters not, the swinging arm notion makes it more than a act of frustration and into the violence catergory

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality

"Aggression" is often a yellow card. A "trip" doesn't read red to me. All I'm saying is that the OP contains both red card and yellow card words, I don't think that's massively controversial.

TAKING A SWING.

is, on 99% of referees parks, an act of brutality.

Feel free to leave someone on your park who takes swings at opponents. Am sure it will work well for you.

bear in mind, the "swing" does not even need to make contact, as per the LOTG

try it in front of a mirror, do your impression of "taking a swing" then think, is this ok on a football pitch

I accept its the old wording of the law, but, v/c used to be "strikes or attempts to strike". Swinging out at an opponent off the ball, would be classed as such. I cannot see any reason or justification why all of a sudden the laws would allow someone to strike another (or attempt to) and not be dismissed

Aggression is a wee push maybe, a squaring up, a "what you doing mate", one opponent wading in to remind another that he is around, a screwed up face,
To take a swing, is, an act of brutality, whether contact is made or not

Last edited:
TAKING A SWING.

is, on 99% of referees parks, an act of brutality.

Feel free to leave someone on your park who takes swings at opponents. Am sure it will work well for you.

bear in mind, the "swing" does not even need to make contact, as per the LOTG

try it in front of a mirror, do your impression of "taking a swing" then think, is this ok on a football pitch

I accept its the old wording of the law, but, v/c used to be "strikes or attempts to strike". Swinging out at an opponent off the ball, would be classed as such. I cannot see any reason or justification why all of a sudden the laws would allow someone to strike another (or attempt to) and not be dismissed

Aggression is a wee push maybe, a squaring up, a "what you doing mate", one opponent wading in to remind another that he is around, a screwed up face,
To take a swing, is, an act of brutality, whether contact is made or not
The OP specifically mentions taking a swing with the foot which results in a trip so arms are not involved and there is no "strike or attempts to strike". What has been described is eithera kick and/or a trip and so could be either red or yellow depending on the opinion of the referee.

The OP specifically mentions taking a swing with the foot which results in a trip so arms are not involved and there is no "strike or attempts to strike". What has been described is eithera kick and/or a trip and so could be either red or yellow depending on the opinion of the referee.
Agree that technically either is possible. However, based on the OP, I'm with @Ciley Myrus on this one, an aggressive swing of the boot, resulting in a trip, in an off the ball incident, sounds like Red to me ..

Arms/legs...both are weapons when it comes to v/c
It can no longer be a trip as there is no tackle as such as the ball is out of play
So, swinging at someone, whilst not challenging for the ball is...erm, vc

The OP specifically mentions taking a swing with the foot which results in a trip so arms are not involved and there is no "strike or attempts to strike".
I don't think the Laws explicitly state that the word 'strike' means use of the hands/arms only. For instance, on page 101 it says that striking includes using the head and on page 109 it says, "strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm" - if striking was limited to hands/arms only, they wouldn't need to use the words bolded above. However in this case the phrase, "strikes or attempts to strike" is not really relevant as it is only used in relation to direct free kick offences committed while the ball is in play.

Since this is an offence occurring with the ball out of play and when the initial description in the title talks about lashing out at a player while off the field, I'm struggling to find a cautionable offence that fits (other than the catch-all USB). If you're an FA referee, which caution code would you use? Lashing out at a player doesn't seem to me to fall within the parameters of 'adopting an aggressive attitude' for instance.

So I'm leaning towards VC - defined in Law as, "An action, which is not a challenge for the ball, which uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent ..." (emphasis mine).

Back