A&H

KO’d

The Referee Store
I've worked with Sam a few times, really nice guy and very good referee. Swindon have said that he was OK and smiling in the changing room after when they told him it was the first time a referee had every left the pitch there to a standing ovation. Hopefully he is feeling OK today.

I don't really understand how this would knock someone out. Even throughout the last decade, I've still played competitively in goal at Power League and have frequently had the ball whacked into my face from close range. Maybe I'm just thick as two short bricks and can't be KO'd by this sort of thing

I don't really understand how this would knock someone out. Even throughout the last decade, I've still played competitively in goal at Power League and have frequently had the ball whacked into my face from close range. Maybe I'm just thick as two short bricks and can't be KO'd by this sort of thing
You can't really see where it hit him, but I would guess he has turned his head and it hit him on the temple. I had that playing, albeit from closer distance, and it poleaxed me. My team mates wouldn't let me carry on as they said my eyes were all over the place.

You can't really see where it hit him, but I would guess he has turned his head and it hit him on the temple. I had that playing, albeit from closer distance, and it poleaxed me. My team mates wouldn't let me carry on as they said my eyes were all over the place.
Or hitting lower jaw upwards. All the shock goes through upper jaw too. It's what gum shields are in part designed to reduce.

I took a clearance to the back of the head last season. Absolutely floored me, got up dazed and they were all down the other end of the pitch appealing for a penalty! 🤦🏻

“Sorry lads, I was unconscious briefly and missed it”

I took a clearance to the back of the head last season. Absolutely floored me, got up dazed and they were all down the other end of the pitch appealing for a penalty! 🤦🏻

“Sorry lads, I was unconscious briefly and missed it”
With what we know about concussions today, in that situation, the ref really, really needs to stop reffing to protect himself. And the ref should get medical treatment. Continued activity with a concussion is dangerous. As refs, our inclination is always to tough it out and pretend we weren’t affected by what happened to us. But modern medicine tells us that toughing out concussions is a really, really bad idea. If you lose consciousness, you should be done for the day. Full stop. I don’t know what concussion training is given to refs in the UK, but in the US, it is required. For anyone interested, there is feee training at the US Center for Disease Control website: https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/training/index.html.

With what we know about concussions today, in that situation, the ref really, really needs to stop reffing to protect himself. And the ref should get medical treatment. Continued activity with a concussion is dangerous. As refs, our inclination is always to tough it out and pretend we weren’t affected by what happened to us. But modern medicine tells us that toughing out concussions is a really, really bad idea. If you lose consciousness, you should be done for the day. Full stop. I don’t know what concussion training is given to refs in the UK, but in the US, it is required. For anyone interested, there is feee training at the US Center for Disease Control website: https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/training/index.html.
The use of “I was unconscious” was more out of humour than anything else. Took a blow to the head, knocked off my feet and a bit dazed is more accurate.

If that happens in a step 5/6 game then I’m 100% taking a few minutes to compose myself and then decide if I’m continuing.
The incident happened in a local ‘flexi’ league game (very casual and relaxed). Once I’d got up and realised what happened I quickly established that I felt absolutely fine. We all had a laugh about how I missed the penalty shout and restarted with a goal kick!

Back