A&H

Klopp escapes ban

Maybe the board followed ATs lead and let things go they shouldn't have!

In my opinion he should have received a minimum three match ban.

The Referee Store
FA can't even be bothered pretending they don't have contempt for referees.
Just shut up and be thankful we let you on the pitch will you.?

Not just a match ban, it needs to be a training ground ban. A coach not being there for 1 game makes no difference. Look at Contes punishment, he basically called the refs/VaR cheats and asked his club to back him. 1game ban.

But it was passionate managing - Keane said so himself - so he should get a soft punishment.

However, in all seriousness, this is disappointing. The FA have the opportunity to start kicking out this nasty side of the game, and if they had a school report it would read ‘must try harder’ and ‘must do better’!

Bonkers why he didn't receive a game ban.

If anything, a manager/coach should set the example to their team, not commit the same offence as many of them and receive a lesser punishment.

To be clear, that is the decision of the independent disciplinary hearing. Both Klopp and The FA can appeal that decision, clearly Klopp won't, and I'm not holding out much hope that the FA will.

The FA should look at this decision and come to the outcome that Jesse Marsh accepted a standard charge and got a one game ban, Klopp has accepted a more serious charge and has come out with a lesser sanction. If they are to have any credibility they must appeal this decision.
How does the "independent disciplinary" fit in Rusty and who are the members?

It sounds like an "arm's length" creation so that the FA can always say "wasn't our decision"?

Suppse another thing is, and of course we have no right to know, is, what do his employers think of his behaviour?

Afterall, he, as manager, is the global representation of Liverpool FC

end game, if they winning silverware, I doubt it matters

Ok doubt anybody reading this forum is in a similar position but if we acted like that whilst performimg our paid employment, ( in our mundane ofice, retail, transport ) job, surely our bosses be like, wtf.

on the flip side, given pro football, esp the epl, loves drama, it would not surprise me given current form if in the next month Liverpool dismiss him, and cite his antics as part of the equation.

Football excuses nearly anything when the going is good, it also pumps you sideways in reverse

How does the "independent disciplinary" fit in Rusty and who are the members?

It sounds like an "arm's length" creation so that the FA can always say "wasn't our decision"?
Exactly what it says on the tin. As I understand it there is a panel of non-FA staff and non-Council or Board members who are called to form committees to rule on misconduct. The Klopp hearing written reasons haven't been published yet, but for the Jesse Marsch hearing it was formed of SImon Parry (a barrister who is also an L5 referee), ex-England Womens captain Faye White and Ken Brown (don't know who he is).

Really pleased that the FA has appealed! Well done to anyone who has made their feelings known to the authorities.

Sky Sports reporting that Klopp has now been handed a one match touchline ban after a successful appeal by the FA!
Which, ironically, is what he would have automatically got had the FA not charged him with an aggravated breach. It is better, but still nowhere near enough, should have been a one game stadium ban then two games touchline ban (in my opinion).

What it should be is standardised. Just making it up as they go along is a bizarre approach.

Last edited:
Has there been any review into the reasons for his outburst though? He went beserk when Silva fouled Salah and then proceeded to back kick him in the shin and attempt to elbow in the ribs. Of course nothing was made of the intended attempt to provoke a reaction as Salah just ignored it.

We have seen retrospective action for games where incidents were missed so I can only assume the assistant ref and the referee deemed this appropriate behaviour?

Otherwise I don't understand how Klopp didn't get a ban in the first place - the stadium ban is enough of course and anything more is just vindictive.

Has there been any review into the reasons for his outburst though? He went beserk when Silva fouled Salah and then proceeded to back kick him in the shin and attempt to elbow in the ribs. Of course nothing was made of the intended attempt to provoke a reaction as Salah just ignored it.

We have seen retrospective action for games where incidents were missed so I can only assume the assistant ref and the referee deemed this appropriate behaviour?

Otherwise I don't understand how Klopp didn't get a ban in the first place - the stadium ban is enough of course and anything more is just vindictive.
The referees missed a foul. As referees are human and not perfect robots, missed calls occur over the course of 90 minutes.

Would you like a co-worker (and in the course of a match, that’s exactly what referees and coaches are) charging into your workspace screaming obscenities and personal attacks at you if you made a mistake in your job?

Yes, the crew missed a call. They made a mistake. That does not justify Klopp acting in the manner he did in any way, shape, or form.

Just one example from the game-VVD’s passing percentage was just under 84%. So 1 time out of 6, he failed to complete his pass. Did Anthony Taylor or his crew hurl abuse at Van Dijk when he didn’t complete his passes? What about when a Liverpool player scuffed a shot? I never saw the referees once scream at Klopp’s players for those mistakes.

Last edited:

It doesn't matter if it was the worst refereeing decision of all time, nothing justifies how he behaved. As it happens it was a missed free kick in a nothing area of the pitch, if he behaves like that for such a decision how is he going to behave for a really big decision?

Did Anthony Taylor or his crew hurl abuse at Van Dijk when he didn’t complete his passes? What about when a Liverpool player scuffed a shot? I never saw the referees once scream at Klopp’s players for those mistakes.
Though I agree with you that Klopp's behaviour is inexcusable the comparison you're using is absurd. VVD's mistakes don't affect the referees in any way, shape or form. The ref's mistake affects a team directly. It was an obvious foul and shouldn't have been missed. My suspicion is that it wasn't really "missed" but of those strange things where the referees are told to ignore the laws of the game and "let it flow".

Back