A&H

Kit questions.

Dino Ref

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new kit for once we get underway again and I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me a bit about the Nike 2018 kit.

I'm particularly interested in the pockets and the likelihood of things falling out.

Before lockdown I had a horrible game, during which I ended up losing three pens and ending up with none. Tip for some people out there. You can never have too many!

During said game I kept one in my chest pocket and one in each short pocket. Granted the chances of this happening again are long but I'm absolutely terrified that it'll happen again, especially as I have one of those teams as my first game back...

For those who wear the nike kit:

How do the pockets close, if they do? Both chest and shorts?

What do you take with you on to the pitch and where do you keep them?

How often do things fall out?

Also if anyone has any suggestions of pens or kits please let me know.

Cheers.

The Referee Store
Put a pencil in your sock.

I use that kit and I attach a refsworld pencil to the match report card in one top pocket and a another to the yellow card in the other. I've never lost one.

I can see how they might come out of shorts pockets.

Never lost anything from the Nike kits. I keep pens clipped in top pockets which velcro close with a small velcro fastener located centrally on the inside of the pocket.
Short Pockets are good and never lost a pen if accidentally placed in that pocket with card.

I love this kit. Nothing’s ever fallen out. I clip my pen to my chest pocket, but my pen also fits in there. Usually if I’m trying to hurry things up, I won’t clip it in and I’ll just put it in the chest pocket and it’s fine - although not as easy to get out as when it’s clipped. I keep a red in my back pocket and a yellow and red in the front shorts and never had anything fall out. I use the back red for straight reds and the red in my front shorts for second yellows - they’re all super easy to get out and put back. I do put my coin in my chest pocket though as I get paranoid that it’d fall out of my short pocket

Shirts are fine. Little velcro tab is good. Really like the Nike shirts (the long sleeves) from 2016 and 2018.

Shirt warning though. I have orange (I know!) in long and short sleeve both in large. The short sleeve shirt is significantly smaller than the long sleeve - basically too tight and significantly too short for me to wear. YMMV.

The shorts though. Argh. For me - and I am tall with a lanky run - high knees when I sprint - the short pockets are hopeless and everything falls out on first sprint - no velcro, too shallow - so I wear the Adidas ref shorts from the 2016 range. (They don't have any colour markings, but have deeper pockets, velcro, longer fit).

(Problem is because I keep a note card with pen and a yellow card in my right front short pocket)

The Nike ref shorts are also so light/thin and short (especially after years wearing Patrick) that TBH, even if the pockets worked for me, I'd probably still wear the Adidas. YMMV in the end;)

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Decided to give it a shot and buy the kit with some pens with clips.

Will try to go out for a run with stuff in the shorts pocket as a test.

Surely can't lose 3 pens again...

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Decided to give it a shot and buy the kit with some pens with clips.

Will try to go out for a run with stuff in the shorts pocket as a test.

Surely can't lose 3 pens again...
Did you end up buying the kit? How did it go? I have the Nike kit and it’s great! Looks brilliant and nothing ever falls out.

Did you end up buying the kit? How did it go? I have the Nike kit and it’s great! Looks brilliant and nothing ever falls out.
Yeah mate.

Used it a few times now and nothing fell out till yesterday.

Only 1 pen though from a short pocket.

Other than that it's been great and I'm considering buying another one.

Yeah mate.

Used it a few times now and nothing fell out till yesterday.

Only 1 pen though from a short pocket.

Other than that it's been great and I'm considering buying another one.
I recommend keeping your pens/pencils in your shirt pockets instead if you find they fall out of the shorts. Mine haven’t fell out in about 2 years of wearing the kit and using the shirt pockets. Getting a few of those little pencils like you used to get in argos is something I’d recommend too! If you keep a couple of those in your shirt pocket, they’ll be safe and secure!

I recommend keeping your pens/pencils in your shirt pockets instead if you find they fall out of the shorts. Mine haven’t fell out in about 2 years of wearing the kit and using the shirt pockets. Getting a few of those little pencils like you used to get in argos is something I’d recommend too! If you keep a couple of those in your shirt pocket, they’ll be safe and secure!
I have been carying three.

One clipped on each shirt pocket and one in a short pocket.

Definitely gonna buy some little pencils to just have on me for an emergency.

A few years ago (trying something someone else suggested--I was skeptical but tried it) I moved my notebook to my front left shorts pocket, with a pen clipped to it. It's easier to get in and out than the shirt pocket, so it's more efficient on recording things. Never had it fall out. (I do keep a spare in my shirt pocket, but more to deal with running out of ink than thinking it will fall out.)

A few years ago (trying something someone else suggested--I was skeptical but tried it) I moved my notebook to my front left shorts pocket, with a pen clipped to it. It's easier to get in and out than the shirt pocket, so it's more efficient on recording things. Never had it fall out. (I do keep a spare in my shirt pocket, but more to deal with running out of ink than thinking it will fall out.)
I keep my notepad in my left shorts pocket, a spare whistle in my right shorts pocket, yellow card in my left shirt pocket, mini pencils hidden in my right shirt pocket with my coin and my red card in my back right pocket on my shorts. I also wear a watch on each wrist.

I have my notebook with yellow card in and little pencil in the side in my left shorts pocket, just feels natural to put the hand in and bring the book out, red in right back pocket.

Book has never fell out for me.

Back