A&H

Junior/Youth Kicking the ball away

Hmmm. I think the laws generally differentiate between players leaving the FOP as part of a natural playing movement and being 'properly' off the FOP. As an example, if a GK ran back towards the goal line to keep a ball in play, succeeeded in doing so but ended up running slightly off the pitch, are we really going to disallow a goal scored by an opponent in those circumstances?!

good point ... so yes i guess you would allow a quick throw with the keeper off the FOP... his being there in this instance is a direct consequence of his choice to venture out there in the first place. Would'nt make you very popular but you'd be within your jurisdiction

The Referee Store
True, although I'd further argue that if a player took a throw immediately as the keeper re-entered the FOP, their teammate still has a pretty good chance of getting it under control and hitting a shot on target before the GK is back in position?

Thank you all! I've never really intended to caution for it. My approach is add on time if the ball gets lost and tell the players when they are getting the ball to hurry up if they are walking...

According to the Laws of the Game, the referee is to make allowance
for all time lost [... ] through [...] any significant delay to a restart...

So if you think the time lost is significant and want to make allowance for this, you'd be perfectly entitled to do so.

Hmmm. I think the laws generally differentiate between players leaving the FOP as part of a natural playing movement and being 'properly' off the FOP. As an example, if a GK ran back towards the goal line to keep a ball in play, succeeeded in doing so but ended up running slightly off the pitch, are we really going to disallow a goal scored by an opponent in those circumstances?!

But that is different as there hasn't been a break in play and you can't control it. Whereas you can decide when to restart play, and I really don't think I would be doing so with the keeper off the pitch.

But that is different as there hasn't been a break in play and you can't control it. Whereas you can decide when to restart play, and I really don't think I would be doing so with the keeper off the pitch.
Hmm, you're right, it is a little different. Even so, it's not a 'formal' restart that requires intervention from the referee with a whistle or the like. So, IMO, you would be aribtrarily choosing to halt the restart and I'm not really sure on what basis. If the keeper (or any other player) has left the FOP as part of a natural playing movement then all the appropriate Laws deem that player to still be 'on the pitch' eg offsides, comitting fouls etc. No one forced the GK to do what he did, I reckon he should face the natural consequences of his actions ....

Used to get a certain fella 2-3 times a season and he generally got a yellow every time I saw him for various misdemeanours, persistent and dissent normally.. Anyway, the last time i saw him he come up and shook my hand before the game and promised to be a good lad going forward... A few very minor fouls and usually a cheeky wink during the game but he was going well.... until.... ball clips his ankle and went out for a throw in, he picked it up to take his throw in but then saw me indicating the other way. He then launched the ball with his foot at least 2 football pitches away.... he then saw me go for my pocket and he dropped his head into his hands not believing what he'd just done.. We had a good laugh after, nice lad but a walking card.....

Back