A&H

Kicking the ball away

Abeverley

Hi guys.
Game yesterday. Gave a free kick and the offender kicked the ball away.
I gave a yellow
Wondering if this should have been a sin bin for dissent?
What do you think?

The Referee Store
It can be either.

Dissent (disagreeing with your decision and showing it by booting the ball away) or delaying the restart of play (booting the ball away so that his team can set up appropriately).

It's all about the context in which it happens.

There are going to be lots of these decisions to be made in the first few weeks of the season, while the new rules are understood.

The Sin Bin is the stronger option - 10 mins set down, as apposed to a fine! but in the last 10 mins of the game, it is effectively a sending off.

At L4, observers are considering what the correct option is - as consistency will be required [The Yorks pool observers are meeting tomorrow evening, and this will be one point on the agenda.... @es1 , @Brian Hamilton ]

At our sin bin training, we were told kicking the ball away should now be dealt with as dissent rather than delaying the restart of play etc

If player is already on a yellow, delaying the restart is the more serious offence without a doubt. Even if it is in the last 10 minutes. It meas a suspension as well. As said above, consider the context before deciding.

Also something to keep in mind. Every kicking the ball away in dissent can also be punished for delaying the restart (because I does every time). NOT every kicking the ball away for delaying the restart can be punished for dissent (because it my not be in dissent).

But what happens if the ball is kicked away to delay restart?
It can be either. It can't be a blanket 1 or the other.

I agree, I raised that at the time and was received with a shrug and a 'that's what the FA want'

Hi guys.
I gave a yellow
What do you think?

Was the offender on the winning team or on the losing team?
If the offender is on the winning team then it's an attempt to delay the restart of play. (Caution, sin bin not required)
If the offender is on the losing team then it wouldn't make sense for him to delay the restart of play; they aren't happy that you've given a free kick against them!! Therefore it's dissent and sin bin is required.

Another thing to think about is whether you could have played advantage? I know players get angry when they get fouled and they still have the ball and the next thing they hear is a whistle?
but this is speculating that the free kick was against the offending team.

If the offender is on the winning team then it's an attempt to delay the restart of play. (Caution, sin bin not required)
If the offender is on the losing team then it wouldn't make sense for him to delay the restart of play; they aren't happy that you've given a free kick against them!! Therefore it's dissent and sin bin is required.

Another thing to think about is whether you could have played advantage? I know players get angry when they get fouled and they still have the ball and the next thing they hear is a whistle?
but this is speculating that the free kick was against the offending team.
He was on the losing team, losing by one goal. If they kept that way they would become premiers, let one more goal in and they drop to second. :;

There are going to be lots of these decisions to be made in the first few weeks of the season, while the new rules are understood.

The Sin Bin is the stronger option - 10 mins set down, as apposed to a fine! but in the last 10 mins of the game, it is effectively a sending off.

At L4, observers are considering what the correct option is - as consistency will be required [The Yorks pool observers are meeting tomorrow evening, and this will be one point on the agenda.... @es1 , @Brian Hamilton ]

i hope what is said at this meeting corresponds to what is said at the pool meeting next month so that we're both working from the same set of interpretations/assumptions!

Hi guys.
I gave a yellow
What do you think?

I think the context here is important.

If he's kicked the ball away because he doesn't like your decision (ie doesn't think it was a foul) then I'm going dissent.

If he's kicked the ball away because he wants to give his team more time to get back and defend, then it's delaying the restart.

One of the best things I heard from an observer was "im just looking for you to be able to explain why you did something and have it backed up in law"

So - I felt that the kicking the ball away was clear dissent at the decision, so I sin binned him, or I felt it was a deliberate ploy to stop the free kick being taken, so I give him a standard caution.

Not quite following the logic here...

Let's say ball goes out for a throw in. No dispute over the direction. A player on the losing team who conceded the throw in, in frustration at his own poor play, wellies the ball 50 yards into the car park. By your logic, Dissent?

What about when teams are drawing?

Not quite following the logic here...

Let's say ball goes out for a throw in. No dispute over the direction. A player on the losing team who conceded the throw in, in frustration at his own poor play, wellies the ball 50 yards into the car park. By your logic, Dissent?

In my opinion, that's a caution for delaying a restart of play because you said that there was "no dispute over the direction." thus sin binning is not required...

Remember that dissent can be by word or ACTION and is always directed as a referee. In the scenario that you mentioned, no action or comments were directed to the referee therefore that this is not dissent and the player should not be sinbinned. thus if a referee awards a free kick against the losing team and a player kicks it away is classified as dissent and the offending player should be sin binned.

If the player turns around and says, "but I didn't touch the ball!" Or something along the lines and you say that it was a throw to the opposition and he booted the ball then it would be dissent and he would need to be sin binned.

I really hope that this clarifies what I was trying to say earlier.

In my opinion, that's a caution for delaying a restart of play because you said that there was "no dispute over the direction." thus sin binning is not required...

Remember that dissent can be by word or ACTION and is always directed as a referee. In the scenario that you mentioned, no action or comments were directed to the referee therefore that this is not dissent and the player should not be sinbinned. thus if a referee awards a free kick against the losing team and a player kicks it away is classified as dissent and the offending player should be sin binned.

If the player turns around and says, "but I didn't touch the ball!" Or something along the lines and you say that it was a throw to the opposition and he booted the ball then it would be dissent and he would need to be sin binned.

I really hope that this clarifies what I was trying to say earlier.
So what do you do when the scores are level?
I am aware of what dissent is and isn't, and you just can't pigeon hole outcomes based on circumstance. It has to have context. So a player, who is winning, could well be DRP or could well be showing dissent by action and vice versa to a losing player.

So what do you do when the scores are level?
I am aware of what dissent is and isn't, and you just can't pigeon hole outcomes based on circumstance. It has to have context. So a player, who is winning, could well be DRP or could well be showing dissent by action and vice versa to a losing player.

we're making the same point here! I was just trying to explain and if it's level, it just depends on the situation.

You can normally tell by the player's body language as well as what is happening in the game. A player from the losing side, or even with the scores even unless his team are major underdogs, is hardly likely to try and delay the restart. In my experience where it is dissent the ball tends to travel much further as it is kicked in anger, whereas when delaying the restart players often try to get away with it by kicking it relatively small distances

Back