A&H

Kicking a corner out ground in celebration of goal

The Referee Store
Not necessarily. You would have to be there.

If it was an expectation, he's broken it. Then yeah. If it's one of those flexible one's or he puts it back in then no. If its aggressive and provocative towards the opposition and causes a decent reaction then yeah.

For me its a caution, what if it had hit somebody and caused an injury? Prevention is better than cure... If players know they will get cautioned for it they won't do it.... He could do it again either in that match or next week and hurt somebody.....

I hate curtailing goal celebration - makes me think I'm one of the NFL referees throwing 15 yard flags if 2 or more players care to dance in formation

I once saw (as an AR) - a player take the corner flag out and throw it like a javelin (into an open space) - no card - although that was maybe because the goal saved us from an extra 30 mins on a really cold morning

For the OP scenario I am not totally sold on a caution - albeit it would probably need a hefty kick to get it out the ground so maybe so

My heart wants to say get on with it, as I remember Faustino Asprilla sticking his shirt on the flag and waving it after scoring for Newcastle in the UEFA cup. I remember thinking it was brilliantly artistic. Not exactly the same but similar.

Of course I know what the real answer ought to be, but so far it's one of the few 9if possibly only) caution offences I've yet to deal with in 16 or so years.

Caution. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year!

Not something that I've ever come across, but surely this falls under excessive goal celebration?

I don't mind "excessive" ...

I do mind players doing damage, time-wasting, taunting oppo players as part of their goal celebration

I'm going to try look sympathetic on 'funny' celebrations too .. I've given the example before of a player scoring a goal, leaving the pitch and jumping on a passing bus ... never ever am I going to caution for this unauthorised leaving of the pitch :)

Cautioned a player once for hurdling the perimeter fence running into the stand, sitting next to a spectator, taking a swig of his beer and then running back down and on to the field again.

Saw him in ASDA last Monday. He's still not forgiven me.

Cautioned a player once for hurdling the perimeter fence running into the stand, sitting next to a spectator, taking a swig of his beer and then running back down and on to the field again.

Saw him in ASDA last Monday. He's still not forgiven me.

Surely you're not going to caution a player for leaving the pitch to do his shopping ...

Back