A&H

Kick Off

ref11

Just need this clarifying. Can you shoot straight from kick off without passing it to a team mate? What about if the team with the kick off just kick it straight into the opponents half without it touching a team mate and a team mate runs onto it. Is this allowed?

The Referee Store
As long as the ball moves forwards its all good. so yes you can shoot (and score) straight from kick off and you can pass the ball to a team mate who has made a run in to the oppositions half... thats what ive always understood anyway

When I used to play there was one team that would shoot from kick off every game. The guy that would shoot was tall and well built so could really kick the ball far. The team he played for weren't liked by many other teams so word soon spread that they shot straight from KO and that stopped after about 7 games when teams put a few players on the goal line. One of my friends team had a poor keeper who conceaded a goal against them and he still gets pelters for it today :)

The same team did the "touch and move" trick at corners so they clearly knew small things in the rules that gave them the advantage against a sleeping team.

I am informed that there was a team local to me who had a short but always windy pitch and would always discreetly ask the ref prior to their kick off "you can score directly from kick off can't you ref?"

And then BOOM: big kick + small pitch + wind - goal Keeper alertness = chance of scoring. Sneaky but effective.

Team disbanded some years back.

Back