A&H

Keeping sharp

The Referee Store
Curious thing... the ref dictating the warm-up
I have my own routine and find myself not really wishing to follow someone else's

Amazingly, I had a bitter row with our fitness guru over this. His viewpoint was, as AR, you warm up with and instructed by the referee, my view was no, you warm up so that YOU are ready for the task in hand.
Try turning up and the ref is out placing cones and about to subject you to a regimental sheet warm up.
The warm up, granted we put on the impression we are a team, is intended to get you ready, mentally and physically for the game
Sadly, as alluded to in other posts, you need to be seen to follow suit at the higher levels

Curious thing... the ref dictating the warm-up
I have my own routine and find myself not really wishing to follow someone else's

Correct.

Let the youngsters do as they wish. ;) :D

To be honest, any half-decent young Level 3/4 that I'm assisting will realise the fact that us 40-50 somethings know our own bodies well enough and will tailor any warm-up plans or previous regime to suit that. To be honest though, it's always been protocol for the referee to "lead" the warm-up so I'll always go along with it ..... but at my pace. :)

Amazingly, I had a bitter row with our fitness guru over this. His viewpoint was, as AR, you warm up with and instructed by the referee, my view was no, you warm up so that YOU are ready for the task in hand.
Try turning up and the ref is out placing cones and about to subject you to a regimental sheet warm up.
The warm up, granted we put on the impression we are a team, is intended to get you ready, mentally and physically for the game
Sadly, as alluded to in other posts, you need to be seen to follow suit at the higher levels
The only muscle groups i get problems with are below the knee. Calf strains and shin splints
So I find myself having to do my own routine, once I've finished playing 'Simon says'

The only muscle groups i get problems with are below the knee. Calf strains and shin splints
So I find myself having to do my own routine, once I've finished playing 'Simon says'

At highest level, its expected we are all elite athletes
As Kes rightly points out, it looks ridiculous on a lower level game where the ref is the next big thing, but the ARs, as capable as they may be, are, well, not on the same planet fitness wise
You end up witn Simon reaching centre spot before the AR has sprinted/ran 12 yards! And, in turn makes the AR to look like he is struggling in the warm up
Its like a team, they do what they do together but then break for, heading for defender or sharp sprints for striker or whatever.
The warm up should be, a warm up for you. Whatever that means

Reactions: Kes

I am my own fitness guru. :D

The impression of being a team can be made purely by all warming up at the same time in the same area. It doesn't mean you all have to do the same thing. At 52, my achilles, hamstrings and calves have good days and bad days. Only I know how they work. I'd be telling your "fitness guru" to ram it. ;) :D

It's not a matter of who does what for me. We need to be seen as a team even if doing different things. Looks better if doing combined/team drills.

My warm up as a ref is about 10-15 minutes. ARs are always happy to go with me but I always ask if there are drills they want us to do. Also last 3 minutes is individual warm up but in the same area.

The impression of being a team can be made purely by all warming up at the same time in the same area. It doesn't mean you all have to do the same thing. At 52, my achilles, hamstrings and calves have good days and bad days. Only I know how they work. I'd be telling your "fitness guru" to ram it. ;):D

I have done, years ago. Why you think am on here preaching!

Reactions: Kes
I've ran past many a player in the second half of games, never the Hare..... more like Duracell Dazzler!!!

The impression of being a team can be made purely by all warming up at the same time in the same area. It doesn't mean you all have to do the same thing. At 52, my achilles, hamstrings and calves have good days and bad days. Only I know how they work. I'd be telling your "fitness guru" to ram it. ;):D
Man of many talents.... Doctor now a fitness Guru, whatever next is on the list??

Interesting conversation with regards to warming up.

Personally I have no problem doing a group warm up, but, I know where I will/could have problems and what I need to do to mitigate those.

If the referee is only interested in bouncing around on the touchline trying out some fancy warm up the I will respectfully withdraw so I have time to work on what I need to ensure I'm good for the match.

However, this has never been an issue for me yet.

You always see the officials in league 1 do some warming up as a group then they break off and do role specific stuff individually

Joking aside, the broad term 'communication', is more important than anything else as a referee (imo)
So I'm not for a moment suggesting the officials should be warming up whilst strung out like dirty washing. But the majority of the time spent warming-up together should be 'free-style' and not the subject of imaginative games

Its like a team, they do what they do together but then break for, heading for defender or sharp sprints for striker or whatever.
The warm up should be, a warm up for you. Whatever that means

Ours is a group warm-up, I think it's the old FA England guidance for warm ups.

Most of the referees that follow it do it in two parts though:

1. We all do the standard warm up procedure listed in the training guidance.

2. We then split to do our personal warm up stuff.

I think that's a good compromise as it gets the whole 'group' stuff out of the way with, everyone sees the group doing it together and then everyone can do their individual thing as well.

In the games I’ve done as AR, the ref tends to get us to do some runs and then we all choose stretches to do from touch to the edge of the box. Good for everyone to get their own streches is whilst still being a team

I’ve got no issue with following the refs warm up to look part of the team, but I respect a referee more who gives the option rather than says ‘follow me’. That way I feel more of a team, rather than a helper

Back