A&H

Keeping sharp

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Potentially have my first AR appointment since early December, tomorrow. If that doesn’t happen then I have one in a couple of weeks anyway. How do you keep yourself sharp after being out for a while? I tend to be more nervous for AR appointments as it is because I think it’s much harder than being in the middle

The Referee Store
I use an old sharpener :)

There is no especial formula really. If you have it and know what you are doing, then you will be a little rusty to start with but it will come back (like riding a bike). Just don't get lazy or start daydreaming. Stay focused on the game.

I use an old sharpener :)

There is no especial formula really. If you have it and know what you are doing, then you will be a little rusty to start with but it will come back (like riding a bike). Just don't get lazy or start daydreaming. Stay focused on the game.
Shame because that potential academy game (Norwich v Southampton u17) got called off so it’s an even longer wait... Hopefully can get an appointment this weekend as I hate long breaks between games

I'm definitely in the 'prefer lining' camp. Give me that over a middle anyday, and if I get to a high enough level, that'll be my intended path.

Ever since my first line I’ve always prefered the middle! Maybe it’ll change later, but I definitely prefer refereeing. I do lines at a higher level than I ref as well. I enjoy the occasion more though, being at grounds rather than parks and getting treated with a bit more respect

Potentially have my first AR appointment since early December, tomorrow. If that doesn’t happen then I have one in a couple of weeks anyway. How do you keep yourself sharp after being out for a while? I tend to be more nervous for AR appointments as it is because I think it’s much harder than being in the middle
One great ref I was with regularly a couple of seasons ago had some good warm ups when we had enough time.

One is a simple ref in the middle jogging forwards and backwards, ARs crabbing either side following, then ref turns and sprints and ARs chase.

The other was more of a brain and body sharpener. Take turns in a corner, someone is x-axis e.g. sideline, another is y-axis goal line, x and y move slowly at first not so far up and down the lines... your job is to keep moving with them staying at their intersection. You can make it harder by facing the corner, even harder by facing away from the corner at 45 degrees, and getting quicker.

Got any more of these?

Take a couple tests before the game. There's not really much else you can do in terms of getting mentally ready.

https://www.proassistantreferees.com/perception-test-17/

One great ref I was with regularly a couple of seasons ago had some good warm ups when we had enough time.

One is a simple ref in the middle jogging forwards and backwards, ARs crabbing either side following, then ref turns and sprints and ARs chase.

The other was more of a brain and body sharpener. Take turns in a corner, someone is x-axis e.g. sideline, another is y-axis goal line, x and y move slowly at first not so far up and down the lines... your job is to keep moving with them staying at their intersection. You can make it harder by facing the corner, even harder by facing away from the corner at 45 degrees, and getting quicker.

Got any more of these?
Yeah, I love when refs do that drill before our games

Good drill. I do that with both ARs on one side behind each-other. ARs either side means one of them is not in natural game position for sprints. Sprints are always left to right for ARs and they are mixed with transition from crabbing.

Good one. I will give it a go. I do the opposite to this. Both ARs on the sides of a 10X10 square. R in the middle doing agility runs (random direction, speed, turns etc). ARs to keep in line.

I play the left and right game. On touchline facing away from PA. Have all 3 bouncing on toes, ready to turn and sprint. If I call left, then we all should turn right and sprint to edge of PA and vice versa. Then same from PA to touchline. I give ARs a go at shouting directions and also change up time between sprints e.g. doing 3 or 4 back to back quick fire.

I assumed this thread was thats we'd accepted a multi ten pound bid from Real Madrid for Sir Billy Sharp!!! Phew!!! :angel:

Back