A&H

Keeping hands warm

fmuhammad

Level 7 Referee
Genuine Question, how do professional referees keep their hands warm during a match?

My hands LITERALLY go numb and I can't do basic things like press the clip on my lanyard so how am I meant to write players names when I'm booking them?

Seriously they don't wear gloves so they must put some sort of cream idk

The Referee Store
Deep heat cream on the back of the fingers/hands?

Some older referees used Vicks Vaporub, but if it rains you're just going to get a greasy mess.

PL refs don't do much writing don't forget. Mostly just a number where we should record the name and number etc.

Vaselineon the back of the hands works too. Haven't tried deep heat.

PL refs don't do much writing don't forget. Mostly just a number where we should record the name and number etc.

Vaselineon the back of the hands works too. Haven't tried deep heat.

Thanks James, appreciate it mate!

For me, on a cold day I put on wrist sweatbands then put my watches on over them; one on each wrist. That's helped me avoid gloves so far

Just wear gloves. No big deal for us southern softies. The hard northeners disagree #southernsoftyrefs

I've never worn gloves refereeing and just get used to freezing hands. I would, but I always find (even with thin ones) awkward with writing, stopping my watch, opening my book etc...

But only the back of your hands /fingers as otherwise your next visit to the toilet might prove somewhat of an adventure .... :rolleyes:

One unfortunate referee had deep heat smeared inside his boxer shorts by his assistants just before he put them back on ... :eek:

If it is cold enough don't be afraid to wear gloves, especially on the line. Vaseline does also work well.

I've never worn gloves refereeing and just get used to freezing hands. I would, but I always find (even with thin ones) awkward with writing, stopping my watch, opening my book etc...

I’m a bit surprised by this. I’ve worn thin runner’s gloves and thicker gloves and never had an issue.

You might want to try the field gloves that players wear now. They have rubber nubbies on the fingers to help with grip. I am still able to use my finger grip with those (although I usually use a whistle with a wrist lanyard just to be safe when wearing gloves).

Last edited:
Just wear gloves. No big deal for us southern softies. The hard northeners disagree #southernsoftyrefs
Any colour recommendations for your lipstick 💄 to go along with the mittens Tina? Got to look your best on a murky morning! May end up on TOWIE all buffed and toastie! 🥳

Gloves and/or long sleeves are a clear sign of weakness that players will subliminally notice (They're not clever enough to experience conscious thought)

Run faster....

I can't get on with gloves, aside from problems with dexterity making it harder to write and stop/start my watches I find my hands get too sweaty and end up taking them off anyway.

That being said, if you need to wear gloves, wear gloves. Any idiot can be cold and uncomfortable.

Genuine Question, how do professional referees keep their hands warm during a match?

My hands LITERALLY go numb and I can't do basic things like press the clip on my lanyard so how am I meant to write players names when I'm booking them?

Seriously they don't wear gloves so they must put some sort of cream idk

Firstly, the biggest factor in being cold is wind chill. In stadium, this does not really apply.

This might sound stupid but wearing short sleeved short is may help. Your whole arm is affected so the hands are not that bad.

Back