A&H

Keeper picking the ball up outside the box

Robin

Level 7 Referee
I had a thought earlier about this and couldn't quite get my head round it...

What happens when a keeper picks up the ball or makes a save outside the box with his/her hands

What is the procedure and the punishment etc?

I couldn't find it in the laws of the game and just wanted clarification in case it ever happened to me

The Referee Store

What happens when a keeper picks up the ball or makes a save outside the box with his/her hands

I couldn't find it in the laws of the game and just wanted clarification in case it ever happened to me

Depends on the circumstances to be honest. If it is a last ditch save its DOGSO and a red card.

If it doesn't DOGSO usually yellow and dfk.

Fair enough...I wasn't to sure if its a DFK or not, I had it in my head that its an indirect FK

Fair enough...I wasn't to sure if its a DFK or not, I had it in my head that its an indirect FK

Indirect FK is only for technical offences - I.e. Offside, high foot, obstruction, etc.

Indirect fk for pass back to keeper who picks it up in the area.

A GK is a "regular" player when outside his/her own penalty area.

So... treat it as if a player made that handling in that situation...

Thank you for the clarification. I knew those so am glad I thought it correct then, what happens if there is a high foot in the box, is it a penalty or an IDFK?

Thank you for the clarification. I knew those so am glad I thought it correct then, what happens if there is a high foot in the box, is it a penalty or an IDFK?

Yes, a technical offence has the same punishment across the pitch.

Keeper handles ball outside box.... cue automatic appeals from opposition, media and arm chair pundits who falsely believe it's an automatic red card regardless of the circumstances :mad::poop::confused:

High foot with no contact = dangerous play and IDFK
High foot and contact = kicking and DFK (or penalty depending on where it occurs)

The only significance of the PA is:

- a direct free kick by the defence inside the PA becomes a penalty kick
- a keeper can handle the ball inside his own PA
- defensive restarts (FK/GK) inside the PA aren't in play until the ball is outside, and attackers must remain outside until then. That's it, aside from a couple of little more obscure bits.

Don't forget, a 'high foot' isn't an offence. Only an offence if it's dangerous - and if there's contact, it's a DFK (or PK) for kicking an opponent.

Keeper deliberately handling the ball outside the PA is treated just like anybody else - so not automatically a card either. Be careful - the ball must be wholly outside the PA for this to be an offence. Often when releasing the ball, the keeper will release it just on the line and momentum will carry it outside before being kicked. This is fine (but still cannot be challenged while releasing) - be aware, but don't go looking too hard for those ones. Those offences, naturally, occur outside the PA :)

Keeper handles ball outside box.... cue automatic appeals from opposition, media and arm chair pundits who falsely believe it's an automatic red card regardless of the circumstances :mad::poop::confused:

Soooo true, had manager tell me that a "friend" who was a "referee" told him that it was always a red card, fater I didn't dimiss a (youth gk) for handling outside box - it was the verydefintion of careless - hetried to pick the ball up. it hit his knee, he tried agin, hit his knee, whne he was succesful he was outside pen area - this was near the goal line btw

I think you'll find it in the LotG on page 37 (2015/16 edition, pdf version):

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player [...] handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
A couple of people have already given you the correct info (including the fact that a high foot is not necessarily an offence) but once again, if you want the LotG references (same version and edition):

Page 38:
An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player: plays in a dangerous manner

Page 123:
Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players. If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable with a direct free kick or penalty kick.

Last edited:
Back