A&H

Just had a shocker

Just had an absolute shocking game.

I lost concentration for a while, I think because the quality of the game was very very poor. (Div 5, the lowest division of our Sunday League (the teams were 2nd bottom and 4th bottom)

Because of that, I got some very basic decisions wrong (direction of throw-ins etc), or so I was told by players from both teams.

Was told I was the 'Worst Ref ever' by multiple members of both teams, including the team winning 8-1!

Feel like I've let myself down to be honest. I'm on a real downer now because I know I am far better than the performance I put in.

@Rye87Ref Mate, all joking aside, I second all the other positive responses you've had on this thread. I've just brought in a bit of (witty?) sarcasm in my first two replies in order to try and illustrate the often farcical nature of the refereeing game if viewed through the eyes of a player or coach. ;) Ask yourself this, do you imagine any of those players have gone home and reflected, beating themselves up about any of the crap decisions or passes/shots they made during that match? Possibly, but I'll practically guarantee none of them have any guilt or conscience about any of their foul tackles, gamesmanship, or behaviour towards you in any way. Yet we, the referees take it upon ourselves to self-critique after every match and/or negative feedback. That's because we are the better half of the game mate.
The next decent 90 minutes you have completely cancels out any previous doubts you may have had about your ability.
Sh** happens. Learn from it, then forget about it. :)

The Referee Store
In all seriousness, have thicker skin.
I always know if I have had a good game or not and comments from 'Roger Irrelevant' just make me smile.
I had a game before Christmas when red number 5 said to me at the end of the game "Ref, you gave us nothing!!", walk 20 yards and blue number 7 said, "Ref, you gave us nothing".

I had to double check that I didn't start this thread as I too was the worst referee at the weekend ... it was I that caused the team too lose, if id have awarded them a free kick in the 86th minute then that would have made the difference !

lost 5-2 ... such a close game ... :confused:

ironically it was the same team and manager that told me I was the best they'd had in 5 years at the start of the season!

cant be have any biased opinions now can I!

I had to double check that I didn't start this thread as I too was the worst referee at the weekend ... it was I that caused the team too lose, if id have awarded them a free kick in the 86th minute then that would have made the difference !

lost 5-2 ... such a close game ... :confused:

ironically it was the same team and manager that told me I was the best they'd had in 5 years at the start of the season!

cant be have any biased opinions now can I!

I've said it once and I'll say it again mate - be "creative" in your refereeing and feel the luuuuurrrve flow through your matches.

A friend. :)

Back