A&H

Just completed course

TheLC

Hello,
I have just completed my course and now have to do my 5 games. Do you recommend doing these 5 in the youth leagues to get experience or go straight into adult Sunday league? Would be interested to hear what others have done or recommend. Thank you!

The Referee Store
I would recommend doing junior games and getting some games as an assistant.

You'll learn loads from watching how others do it.

Walk before you can run. :)

You don't say how old you are but Youth football will give you a feel for what's to come and in a slightly more comfortable zone.

Everyone is different though. It depends on your level of confidence I guess. :cool:

Walk before you can run. :)

You don't say how old you are but Youth football will give you a feel for what's to come and in a slightly more comfortable zone.

Everyone is different though. It depends on your level of confidence I guess. :cool:
Thank you! I am 26 but never reffed a game in my life, used to play Sunday league so I know what it can be like! I think you’re right with the youth leagues and building up :)

Thank you! I am 26 but never reffed a game in my life, used to play Sunday league so I know what it can be like! I think you’re right with the youth leagues and building up :)
I was 24/5 when I started and honestly think a year at youth benefitted me massively.

Thank you James! Did you start U18s category or lower than that?
I did whatever was assigned to me.
I remember my first game was an u12. 1 yellow card and a penalty retaken 3 times due to encroachment. I was as busy then as I am now 😂.
I found that I was being given u15, u16, u17, u18 mostly once I had got a few games under my belt but I just took what was offered. I was doing 2 maybe 3 games a week back then. Knees wouldnt take it now

I did whatever was assigned to me.
I remember my first game was an u12. 1 yellow card and a penalty retaken 3 times due to encroachment. I was as busy then as I am now 😂.
I found that I was being given u15, u16, u17, u18 mostly once I had got a few games under my belt but I just took what was offered. I was doing 2 maybe 3 games a week back then. Knees wouldnt take it now
Yeah I just want to get stuck in whilst the course is still fresh in my mind! Any recommendations on where to get kit from would be appreciated from anyone, had a look around and struggling to find places with stock!

For a starter kit I had the RA kit.
There are several places. I am Obligated to first point you to RefsWorld UK. Ross who runs this site operates that.
There is the FAs referee store.
The RA sell kit
The most popular place I find folks go to is A&h. They usually always have stock of the latest Nike kits.
I would say don't go overboard to start, it can be costly, but you need to know you wil stuck at it first. That said, full nuke kit 60 quid, that's paid for from your first few games so different ways to look at it.

Yeah I just want to get stuck in whilst the course is still fresh in my mind! Any recommendations on where to get kit from would be appreciated from anyone, had a look around and struggling to find places with stock!
The Referee's Association have a full starter kit for around £40.
Enjoy your refereeing!

I did my Course last weekend. There were 11 of us. 7 teenagers, 1 guy in his 20s, 2 in their 40s and then me as the old git (I'm 55).

It was really enjoyable and I'm now in the same situation as @TheLC of having to do 5 qualifying games. I've done a handful of U13/U15 games prior to the Course, but I'll stick with the Youth games for now and see if I can get them done before the end of this season.

Thank you! I will check that out! Nervous about refereeing but think if I can enjoy it that will make it worth it!
Nerves are good. Only time I chuck in a poor game is when I'm not 'on it'. My best games have come when the big butterflies have are in town
It was the same when I played

I did my Course last weekend. There were 11 of us. 7 teenagers, 1 guy in his 20s, 2 in their 40s and then me as the old git (I'm 55).

It was really enjoyable and I'm now in the same situation as @TheLC of having to do 5 qualifying games. I've done a handful of U13/U15 games prior to the Course, but I'll stick with the Youth games for now and see if I can get them done before the end of this season.
Maybe we were on the same course haha. I’m going from playing every Sunday to refereeing so the 5 games will be a good eye opener for me!

Nerves are good. Only time I chuck in a poor game is when I'm not 'on it'. My best games have come when the big butterflies have are in town
It was the same when I played
Thank you, seen a lot of people say this about nerves before a game which is reassuring!

25 years in I still get butterflies. I’d be worried if I didn’t

Hi All,
Question if I may please.
I was previously a Level 4 Referee, but stopped a while ago. I’ve now passed the course and after doing the 5 games I’ll return as a Level 5 Referee.
My question, for the 5 games as long as they are 9v9/11v11 with Offside, could I do all 5 games in one day (say at a Tournament) or is there a preferred timescale? There are some tournaments near me playing 9v9 but are 15 min games - would that count?
Thanks in advance!

My question, for the 5 games as long as they are 9v9/11v11 with Offside, could I do all 5 games in one day (say at a Tournament) or is there a preferred timescale? There are some tournaments near me playing 9v9 but are 15 min games - would that count?
Thanks in advance!
I'd very much doubt it.

You'd need to check with your RDO though. Welcome back. :)

Back