A&H

Just an introduction

Whinyates

Level 6 Referee
Hi all.

My name is Chris, I’m 33 and completed my course 2 weeks ago. Looking forward (and dreading 😂) my first full game this Sunday.

I did my course at Staffs and will be reffing in the Walsall and Lichifield league to start.

Must be honest, I came out of the course with more questions then answers. Personally it felt to me like we’ve got your money, give you some basics now go figure out the rest.
I’m a little shocked at how little support and guidance there is between the course ending and your first game.

I joined my local RA about 3 weeks ago. Emailed them to introduce myself and haven’t heard anything back 🤷‍♂️ 😂

Interested in making as many connections as I can especially in the midlands and surrounding areas.

Look forward to speaking with many of you soon 👍

The Referee Store
Welcome! Relax. Enjoy your first game. Take your time. Expect the unexpected.

There are plenty of great threads on here to browse. Like yours when you come back and tell how the game went;)

You will feel completely lost and out of place in your first couple of games. Just walk out confident, as well prepared as you can, loud whistle to start the game and go with the flow.

Feel free to pm me if you want, I'll help if I can. Been reffing 4 seasons and just done the double promotion jump levels 7-5. I'm not too far north of you, Castle Donington based.

Adam

Reactions: one
Hi all.

My name is Chris, I’m 33 and completed my course 2 weeks ago. Looking forward (and dreading 😂) my first full game this Sunday.

I did my course at Staffs and will be reffing in the Walsall and Lichifield league to start.

Must be honest, I came out of the course with more questions then answers. Personally it felt to me like we’ve got your money, give you some basics now go figure out the rest.
I’m a little shocked at how little support and guidance there is between the course ending and your first game.

I joined my local RA about 3 weeks ago. Emailed them to introduce myself and haven’t heard anything back 🤷‍♂️ 😂

Interested in making as many connections as I can especially in the midlands and surrounding areas.

Sorry to hear that the course failed to meet your expectations - feedback gathered from course attendees some time after their courses has generally been positive.
As others have said, it's all a bit strange at first, but your age is in your favour - our new colleagues aged 14 and 15 have added pressures!
This forum has a number of useful "New referee" threads for you to browse.
On Sunday go out there looking confident, big first whistle and "Captains, please" and away you go.
Let us know how it goes.

Hi all.

For me, you only really learn to referee when you are out on the field.

You have the knowledge but applying it is the hard bit.

Good luck.

Feel free to pm me if you want, I'll help if I can. Been reffing 4 seasons and just done the double promotion jump levels 7-5. I'm not too far north of you, Castle Donington based.

Adam
That would be great. Always get random questions pop into my head and would be nice to have someone to talk to 👌

Sorry to hear that the course failed to meet your expectations - feedback gathered from course attendees some time after their courses has generally been positive.
As others have said, it's all a bit strange at first, but your age is in your favour - our new colleagues aged 14 and 15 have added pressures!
This forum has a number of useful "New referee" threads for you to browse.
On Sunday go out there looking confident, big first whistle and "Captains, please" and away you go.
Let us know how it goes.
The course wasn’t bad, don’t get me wrong. It’s what seems to be the lack of anything after.
I want to push myself to progress as far and as much as possible and just felt I didn’t get any clear advice on how to progress personally or professionally.
Having said all that, I have found this group, some Facebook pages and YouTube all good resources for additional information

I started out at 15 (admittedly kids is a very different experience), but I found it useful just to watch 10-15 minutes of football before hand and focus on the referee. Don't go setting yourself expectations, just have a quick look, see what they do well, maybe see if you can catch a video of something you're unsure about, go out there, smile and enjoy it. I'm sure many people can give better advice, but the first ones always feel strange, but stick with it, and after a while you'll find your style :)

That would be great. Always get random questions pop into my head and would be nice to have someone to talk to 👌

No worries, forgot to add I'm 32 soon so around your age and completely get where you're coming from re starting out, it wasn't that too long ago for me.

Like I say, feel free.

Adam

The course wasn’t bad, don’t get me wrong. It’s what seems to be the lack of anything after.
I want to push myself to progress as far and as much as possible and just felt I didn’t get any clear advice on how to progress personally or professionally.
Having said all that, I have found this group, some Facebook pages and YouTube all good resources for additional information
In my area the new referees are introduced to local leagues at the level they wish to start (mini soccer, youth, adult), introduced to their local RA, offered mentor support in one or two of their first 5 games, given links to the relevant systems (e. g. Whole Game Sytem, reporting misconduct) and have the names of the course tutors.
Sorry you appear to have missed out to some degree.
When thinking ahead (possible promotions) the FA website and most County FA websites indicate the requirements at each change of level.
Message me if I can help with anything.
Enjoy your refereeing!

I started at 33 and I recieved zero support, literally nothing. I had to go and find my own qualifying games as the chaps who ran the course said there were no games for me as they'd allocated them all to the younger refs.

This suited me fine as I was an adult so just cracked on myself. I emailed every league secretary around and within a week I had fixtures coming put of my backside!

My advice would be take any support that is there but assume there is none, because that's the reality in some areas. See it as an opportunity to go and do it yourself. When I moved South one assessor said that my coach had done a good job teaching me, I was never offered one and certainly never had one. This site, other refs and watching lower level semi pro football (concentrating on the officials) gave me far more than the County every could. Not their fault in the slightest BTW, they just didn't have the resources or personnel to help older refs.

You need to be honest with yourself when you mess up and congratulate yourself when you do well. You must accept that you will mess up occasionally and even though it feels a big deal at the time, it really isn't. You're developing.

Get out there by yourself and get refereeing. Get games however you can. League Secretary's are great but Facebook groups are good especially pre season. Announce on the league groups in your area that you're looking for games and you will get fixtures.

Email your local step 6 leagues and/or county league (not all use ARs), and tell then you are looking for lines. Working with a higher level ref is so good for development both learning from what they do right and their mistakes.

Crack on!

I am from AU with systems which provide a little more support for referees post course but things work pretty much the same. You'd figure out the vast majority of support is volunteered work with no pay. There is some support like observation work that is paid but there is a lot of demand for it so it's on a need to have basis. There basically is not anywhere near enough volunteers available. Those who do have time often have to make a choice of best option based on demand, what serves the game and a bit of what serves them best. Unfortunately, an adult new ref who can find his/her own way around does not come near the top of priority list. Though truth be told if it is a 'her', at least where I am, for diversity reasons, the priority is bumped up a bit. It's not the best system but a better system needs funding and football bodies funnel all that towards players and playing (in opposed to referees and refereeing).

Enjoy your experience and once you are established, like most people on this forum, put a little back into the trade to make it a better experience for other new referees.

In my area the new referees are introduced to local leagues at the level they wish to start (mini soccer, youth, adult), introduced to their local RA, offered mentor support in one or two of their first 5 games, given links to the relevant systems (e. g. Whole Game Sytem, reporting misconduct) and have the names of the course tutors.
Sorry you appear to have missed out to some degree.
When thinking ahead (possible promotions) the FA website and most County FA websites indicate the requirements at each change of level.
Message me if I can help with anything.
Enjoy your refereeing!
I did my course with London and got none of the above other then the name of my Course Tutor and Local RDO, who didn't reply to my first email!

Just an update:

Was involved in 3 games in 4 days. Saturday I did an under 13s, Sunday an open age and Tuesday got to run the line for a Saturday league friendly.

Enjoyed all 3 games to be honest. Had a few moans but nothing nearing abuse.

The kids game I was more worried about parents and spectators then the game itself but didn’t hear a thing all game, and actually got told I had a good game by 1 or 2.

The open age game was more intense as expected. Overall the game went well in low 30 degree temperatures. We stopped in each half for a drinks break which I think everyone appreciated. My biggest concern in this game was the little fouls that I let go. Many times people were calling fouls for slight pushes or niggles. As a fan I’d probably call for them but in the moment I was just thinking there’s nothing really there keep playing to the whistle. I’m hoping this will come with experience.

The game on the line game last minute but I was happy to give it a go. Had a great referee and assistant who talked to me before the game. I felt it went well and the only feedback of note at the end was to keep my legs together when signalling. Got moaned at once for an offside but other then that it was another positive experience.

The AR emailed me the day after the game to give me his phone number if I want advice or to ask questions, which was a quality thing for him to do.

Lastly I did 2 games in the middle on the weekend and had nowhere near the aching I’ve had for the last 2 days after running the line 😂

Thanks to everyone who replied to the post and look forward to speaking to more of you again 👍

I’m a bit late to thread but hopefully you are starting to feel at ease with the more games you do. I’ve just done my first season and share the same thoughts as you after the course. Link in with a local RA….it took me a few attempts to find one but im so glad I’ve done so because I’ve got to know a lot of other referee s and have run the line for them at a higher level.
you will always be learning.

With the little contact borderline fouls you want to let go - because you are in control and the players want to keep playing - communicate! Keep talking, go on, carry on, I’ve seen it, try to play the ball… a little carry on wave (not the advantage signal).

If you keep communicating you non-decisions the players will trust you more and the big decisions wilö be easier for you and them;)

With the little contact borderline fouls you want to let go - because you are in control and the players want to keep playing - communicate! Keep talking, go on, carry on, I’ve seen it, try to play the ball… a little carry on wave (not the advantage signal).

If you keep communicating you non-decisions the players will trust you more and the big decisions wilö be easier for you and them;)
I like the idea of communicating the "non-decisions". I'm trying to get better at this.

Not for me. Not enough there. Keeping going.

I like the idea of communicating the "non-decisions". I'm trying to get better at this.

Not for me. Not enough there. Keeping going.

Personally, I'm not sure you should say 'not enough there'. Implies there's something, but not enough for a foul. I find I used to have issues when I said that. Better off saying 'normal contact' or 'nothing there', shows you've seen it as well and you're certain about a decision.

Back