A&H

Just a couple of things.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Maybe I haven't explained it properly.
If there is no offence I shout 'on'.
If I'm waiting on a particular player who is in an offside position, I would normally say 'waiting on 9' or use his name.
If the offside is complete I just blow.
Northern Irish patter perhaps. The players this side of the water might have no clue what you mean. As a northerner reffing down south, that's nowt new to me...

The Referee Store
It's to let everyone one know, but as I said, it's a habit now which probably stemmed from using the mic system.
Don't you think you are favouring the attackers calling that (in fact helping them). Defenders practice setting offside traps to get a free kick. What you do there is to basically nullify their effort. I'm sure if I do that in my game I won't get too much pleasantries from the defenders.

I always tell my ARs when they wait and see it has to be discrete, don't just freeze in your spot and look at the PIOP. Follow play as you normally would.

Good tips on the captains' and coaches' names. For this season, in bigger games, I note the captains and coaches before hand on my cheat card. It's a nice touch when meeting them. And, so far, it has helped when I have needed the captains. It also, as said above, shows you care. Respect innit.

Where does everyone stand on players drinking out of water bottles on the pitch?

Twice now I’ve warned a player don’t drink on the pitch or it’s a yellow.

But my question is when is a player permitted to drink on the pitch?
Is it refs discretion or is there a law?

Where does everyone stand on players drinking out of water bottles on the pitch?
I usually stood on the side having a swig too.... :wtf::wtf:

It's this kind of question that makes me think you are a genius or a troll!

I'll bite because I've only had to handle this as an AR in the last year so I would like to be corrected. And to be clear, I am talking about ad hoc drinking and not half way drinks breaks as explained in the LotG.

Firstly, if it's hot, get it in the pre-match - to the coaches and a reminder to the ARs. Agree on the likelihood of an extra half way drinks break and make it clear that ad hoc drinks have to be fast at long breaks in play.

And then on or off the pitch...? well, players should not leave the pitch but they shouldn't bring bottles on the field so there has to be a compromise. The only way AFAIK is that, during a long stoppage (injury, sub, goal, ball retrieval at a push) a player can go to the sideline, stay on the field, reach for a drink, take a drink, and get rid of the bottle before play restarts. AFAIK and have been taught it is important for the AR to keep an eye on any players drinking and make sure they jettison the bottles before play restarts, and they are on the field with no "objects".

That said, at grassroots hobby leagues you should take a much more lenient approach IMHO if it is really hot;)
Oh yeah and any GK that retrieves the ball and then reaches for a drink before taking a goal kick is getting an immediate warning from me - that's a d*** move in any league!

It's this kind of question that makes me think you are a genius or a troll!

I'll bite because I've only had to handle this as an AR in the last year so I would like to be corrected. And to be clear, I am talking about ad hoc drinking and not half way drinks breaks as explained in the LotG.

Firstly, if it's hot, get it in the pre-match - to the coaches and a reminder to the ARs. Agree on the likelihood of an extra half way drinks break and make it clear that ad hoc drinks have to be fast at long breaks in play.

And then on or off the pitch...? well, players should not leave the pitch but they shouldn't bring bottles on the field so there has to be a compromise. The only way AFAIK is that, during a long stoppage (injury, sub, goal, ball retrieval at a push) a player can go to the sideline, stay on the field, reach for a drink, take a drink, and get rid of the bottle before play restarts. AFAIK and have been taught it is important for the AR to keep an eye on any players drinking and make sure they jettison the bottles before play restarts, and they are on the field with no "objects".

That said, at grassroots hobby leagues you should take a much more lenient approach IMHO if it is really hot;)
Oh yeah and any GK that retrieves the ball and then reaches for a drink before taking a goal kick is getting an immediate warning from me - that's a d*** move in any league!

So basically at grass roots level your saying in long break periods I.e injury or substitution etc?

Had my best game as a ref today & didn’t know I was gonna ref until 5 mins b4 kick off.

I was there to spectate former team of mine last game of season, had a nice shower in the morning all chilled and ready to watch everyone sweat to death in the heat low & behold I’m in the middle (ref no show).

Confidence is a funny old thing I was so confident for some reason really enjoyed it apart from the clothes I was in (not refs kit) soaked right through.

No lino’s either so it was a slog, I did chuck in a drinks break on 25mins, but a fella did grab a bottle on pitch Whilst a goal kick was about to be taken, I said it should be a yellow don’t do it again, it got me thinking about drinks on pitch.

Only other thing that was interesting was amongst the spectators one person had a stereo blasting music out, for a min I did consider asking them to turn it off but hey ho it was last game of season quite relaxed atmosphere so I left it, it didn’t actually cause an issue in the game infact you couldn’t really hear it whilst on pitch.

Nothing else to report but again a first for me refereeing in plain clothes.

So basically at grass roots level your saying in long break periods I.e injury or substitution etc?

Had my best game as a ref today & didn’t know I was gonna ref until 5 mins b4 kick off.

I was there to spectate former team of mine last game of season, had a nice shower in the morning all chilled and ready to watch everyone sweat to death in the heat low & behold I’m in the middle (ref no show).

Confidence is a funny old thing I was so confident for some reason really enjoyed it apart from the clothes I was in (not refs kit) soaked right through.

No lino’s either so it was a slog, I did chuck in a drinks break on 25mins, but a fella did grab a bottle on pitch Whilst a goal kick was about to be taken, I said it should be a yellow don’t do it again, it got me thinking about drinks on pitch.

Only other thing that was interesting was amongst the spectators one person had a stereo blasting music out, for a min I did consider asking them to turn it off but hey ho it was last game of season quite relaxed atmosphere so I left it, it didn’t actually cause an issue in the game infact you couldn’t really hear it whilst on pitch.

Nothing else to report but again a first for me refereeing in plain clothes.
And your reasoning behind it being a yellow is?

And your reasoning behind it being a yellow is?

A player leaving the field of play to drink from a bottle without the refs consent is a mandatory yellow or Atleast that’s what I read im sure I did.

Ah but you said he grabbed a bottle on the pitch........

I did, he walked to side of pitch but stayed on pitch & someone threw a bottle to him, he drank from it as gk was about to be taken.

Few months ago a player actually left the pitch completely & went into his bag to drink whilst game was inplay.

I warned on both occasions that it’s a yellow offence don’t do it again.

Maybe the first example wasn’t cautionable then.

I did, he walked to side of pitch but stayed on pitch & someone threw a bottle to him, he drank from it as gk was about to be taken.

Few months ago a player actually left the pitch completely & went into his bag to drink whilst game was inplay.

I warned on both occasions that it’s a yellow offence don’t do it again.

Maybe the first example wasn’t cautionable then.
I've got the Good Book open as we speak MiB, what page can I find that card mentioned??? :wtf:

Card for leaving the field of play without permission is a yellow card I think.

What book u looking at, playboy or lotg :smoke:

But you said he was on the pitch?? I think you'll need to give those milk bottles a wipe, they've steamed up!!! Again, which page please??? :rolleyes:

But you said he was on the pitch?? I think you'll need to give those milk bottles a wipe, they've steamed up!!! Again, which page please??? :rolleyes:

Yep today’s incident he stayed on pitch towards touchline & someone threw him a drink whilst game was about to re start with a goal kick.

So I take it this example is not a yellow
I’ll read up on it tomoz.

And what do the laws say about this?

And what do the laws say about this?
He was hoping you would tell him so he won't have to read it :)

MIB, reading the lotg for yourself is like starting your own threads for your question. It takes a bit of effort but it works better in long run. :D

No probs whilst I’m at it I’ll read up on goalkeeper realising the ball & oponent blocking it, always get a black & white answer in the lotg. I mean after all it is
a book. :D

He was hoping you would tell him so he won't have to read it :)

MIB, reading the lotg for yourself is like starting your own threads for your question. It takes a bit of effort but it works better in long run. :D

Yep. I've mentioned before that the only way to gain familiarity with the laws is to look for the answer in them every single time you see something you're unsure of. They should - nay, must - be your first port of call with queries.

Of course, that shouldn't be the only time you read them - referees, especially new ones, should be constantly reviewing them. Assuming you've actually gotten around to your first read through yet.....?

Yeah read it through, I particularly enjoyed the part about the ball being spherical & both teams needing a goalkeeper.

Back