A&H

Jon Moss’ Boots

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Seen online that a few ex referees are angry at Jon Moss for having ‘Mossy’ on his boots. Really don’t understand the outrage. People saying it’s him making himself a ‘celebrity’, even though a lot of places offer free boot personalisation (I used to when I played). Wouldn’t have even been noticed if Amazon didn’t zoom all the way in and post it on Twitter.

Good to see a lot of people (non referees) say ‘why does it even matter’

Attachments

• 8D5FA6CA-75FD-4B99-A9C5-A363029AE27D.png
    8D5FA6CA-75FD-4B99-A9C5-A363029AE27D.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
The Referee Store
Could have been a gift from a friend, child, colleague. Who knows.
The same thing could be said to the original poster. Isnt there bigger things to worry about than caring if someone has a nickname on their boots?

Have already seen this photoshopped as “I’m mr.fantastic” and said to have been Mike Deans boots.

Could have been a gift from a friend, child, colleague. Who knows.
The same thing could be said to the original poster. Isnt there bigger things to worry about than caring if someone has a nickname on their boots?

Have already seen this photoshopped as “I’m mr.fantastic” and said to have been Mike Deans boots.
Completely agree. Not like it’s even visible or he’s wearing bright yellow boots

I'm very mildly on the "that's a bit silly" side of the fence. Customisation might be free, but it's still optional. And if he does still go for it, "Moss" or "JM" would have looked better. It's not terrible, but it's also not particularly smart.

With the imminent return of grassroots football I popped in to the shed to fish out my boots, which haven’t been used since a wet weekend in Februar.

Having been stuck in a damp, dark corner for a few months they, too, are a bit “mossy.”

Does that count?!

I've always got the impression that professional refereeing is very cliquey, and the majority of retired premier League referees seem to have massive chips on their shoulders.

I've always got the impression that professional refereeing is very cliquey, and the majority of retired premier League referees seem to have massive chips on their shoulders.
Tbh I’ve got the complete opposite impression. I speak to a Premier League AR frequently as he’s my coach and he’s very down to earth and always happy to help or speak about football. I’ve spoken with a few EFL and Prem refs and ARs on Zoom calls and in person at meetings, and can’t say I’ve ever felt badly about any of them. They’ve all seemed friendly and very normal from my experience

Nice boots Mossy! Nothing wrong with having a modicum of personality
I notice a lot of people idolise Collina, however, I feel that if a referee was like him now, he’d be lambasted for ‘making the game about himself’. Collina is also still the only referee to be on the front cover of one of the main two football video games. Imagine the reaction if Mike Dean was on the FIFA 21 cover (I’m all for it personally)

Reactions: one
It's his nickname (I'm assuming), and it's not a nickname that would be a problem said in public (we all have a friend whose nickname shouldn't be uttered in a public setting). Just one example of where this could be useful - When the SG1 referees meet for their camps/training, what's the easiest and most efficient way to know that a particular referee is getting his boots and not his colleagues' boots?

I see zero issue with this at all. Plus, it's very small on the top of the shoe. It's not like he replaced the big "Nike" name on the back of the boots many of the SG1 referees wear with "Mossy".

My first thought was Clattenburg, to be honest.

Last edited:
Nothing to see here, it is a non-story. For all anyone knows they may even have been a present from his wife, kids, RA, etc, and even if he chose the personalisation himself I would ask this ...

... who cares? What does it matter?

The ultimate irony is that the person posting it on Twitter has the name of @no1lino. Given he regularly did games with Phil Sharp (and I think Darren Cann as well) he quite clearly wasn't what he called himself :)

The ultimate irony is that the person posting it on Twitter has the name of @no1lino. Given he regularly did games with Phil Sharp (and I think Darren Cann as well) he quite clearly wasn't what he called himself :)

I think it's supposed to be a reference to Graham Poll's prematch. Of course Turner was one of the assistants alongside Phil Sharp in Poll's three card trick game.

It shows he enjoys being there and not doing it because he has to.

If that is the biggest thing they found wrong about his refereeing then he must be doing something right. Whomever posted the tweet need to get a life.

I'd say if you ref'd an FA cup semi final and people are criticising your boots and not your decisions than well done.

On a side note, given Moss is a record store owner Jon Moss’ Boots wouldn’t be a bad name for a band.

Back