A&H

Jewellery Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
None of this matters. The laws say that players cannot wear jewellery, and also state that this applies to referees with some exceptions like watches. If they are changed at any point in the future to include blades then so be it, but that isn't the case at the minute.

I think I am generally known as a laid back observer who sees things from a referee's perspective, but if I see a referee allowing players to wear rings, or even worse wearing a ring himself, I don't mind admitting that I will be taking him to the cleaners. He is making it harder for next week's referee, ignoring laws to suit himself, and as much as I try to side with the referee I wouldn't be able to do on that.

When I did my course(not in my home county) the RDO told us to use common sense and if a weddng ring was taped up it was probably because it could not be removed, and proceeded to tell the story of a ref using wire cutters to try and cut it off. Mixed messages coming through.

In my local association the football body has allowed flat wedding rings. It doesn't have to be taped.

Outside of my local games, over the years I have had tens of times when the ring supposedly couldn't come off. Only on one occasions the player ended up not playing. In all the rest, they managed to take it off.

I also had many occasions when the player said its against their beliefs to take the ring off. Again in all but one occasion they ended up choosing playing the game over their beliefs.

Told him he won't be playing. Told me the
other refs let him tape it up.
I'm pretty sure the other ref was @Big Cat

Last edited:
When I did my course(not in my home county) the RDO told us to use common sense and if a weddng ring was taped up it was probably because it could not be removed, and proceeded to tell the story of a ref using wire cutters to try and cut it off. Mixed messages coming through.
I remember when we had a World Cup qualifier in my city a number of years back. I was one of the volunteers that helped with the ref crew. One of my country's players had a wedding ring that they ended up having to cut off with a grinder so that he could play.

It was a bit of an interesting experience.

I remember when we had a World Cup qualifier in my city a number of years back. I was one of the volunteers that helped with the ref crew. One of my country's players had a wedding ring that they ended up having to cut off with a grinder so that he could play.

It was a bit of an interesting experience.

When a ring on a finger is considered a safety issue but the solution is to cut it off with a grinder then the person who made that decision must consider his decision making! If you have to enforce a safety law by doing something incredibly unsafe then it's time to have a think about things. I'm off to work now, if I see any of my guys trying to cut rings off their fingers with a grinder then it's instant dismissal!

Barely a week goes by when I don't ask a player to remove jewellery. Usually before the game starts but also during the game if I've missed something or the player has put it back on after the inspection.

I'd do it differently and put a bit more emphasis on the players. Any player seen with jewellery on during the game should receive a mandatory yellow and leave the FOP to remove it (no sub allowed during the process). The manager and players would manage jewellery for us then (although we would still have to do the pre match inspection).

The process of removing the ring with a grinder was unsafe is an assumption though. I can see why you would make that assumption but there are safe ways of doing it as well.

Any player seen with jewellery on during the game should receive a mandatory yellow
This is a myth.

The fact that the process of removing the ring with a grinder was unsafe was is an assumption though. I can see why you would make that assumption but there are safe ways of doing it as well.

This is a myth.

The probability of being injured or injuring someone else whilst wearing a ring is miniscule in comparison to using a grinder to cut it off. By all means stop the player from playing (he's a professional after all and should know the laws).

You misunderstand. I'm advocating giving a yellow, not saying that it's current law

The probability of being injured or injuring someone else whilst wearing a ring is miniscule in comparison to using a grinder to cut it off. By all means stop the player from playing (he's a professional after all and should know the laws).

You misunderstand. I'm advocating giving a yellow, not saying that it's current law
You are probably imagining this used by a mate who thinks he is a good handyman
1548052425736.png

While I am imagining this used by a jeweller or a surgeon :)
1548052592520.png

Anyway, as far as we are concerned, he is not playing with a ring. How he takes it off is his concern so long as it is not in a area/time under your authority.

You are probably imagining this used by a mate who thinks he is a good handyman
View attachment 2938

While I am imagining this used by a jeweller or a surgeon :)
View attachment 2939

Anyway, as far as we are concerned, he is not playing with a ring. How he takes it off is his concern so long as it is not in a area/time under your authority.

I only use 9" (stop sniggering at the back). It's all gotten a little silly when we're cutting off rings to play a game. Admittedly its the players fault.

To bring it back to local football, I do believe that making it a cautionable offence to wear jewellery would help reduce the number of players who enter the FOP wearing jewellery, and as it's a safety provision, reduction is the priority. Currently, players face no sanction whatsoever for wearing jewellery and if an adult footballer is wearing jewellery, it's highly likely that he's done it for his entire career and it's been ignored by refs. There's no motivation for him/her to remove his jewellery, it's currently the referees perogative. Make it his/her perogative to remove it and I think we'd see a big reduction in players wearing jewellery

I only use 9" (stop sniggering at the back). It's all gotten a little silly when we're cutting off rings to play a game. Admittedly its the players fault.

To bring it back to local football, I do believe that making it a cautionable offence to wear jewellery would help reduce the number of players who enter the FOP wearing jewellery, and as it's a safety provision, reduction is the priority. Currently, players face no sanction whatsoever for wearing jewellery and if an adult footballer is wearing jewellery, it's highly likely that he's done it for his entire career and it's been ignored by refs. There's no motivation for him/her to remove his jewellery, it's currently the referees perogative. Make it his/her perogative to remove it and I think we'd see a big reduction in players wearing jewellery

Or we have all referees follow the LOTG and prevent them from playing. When we're allowing one LOTG to not be followed, do we then pick and choose which others we enforce?

Or we have all referees follow the LOTG and prevent them from playing. When we're allowing one LOTG to not be followed, do we then pick and choose which others we enforce?

There are plenty of examples of the LOTG which we don't enforce.

You're talking ideal world there but the fact that it's 2019 and still we have an issue with jewellery should encourage us to try a different tactic. I can't think of a single game I've done this year where I haven't asked someone to remove jewellery before the match. Now we either carry on as we have been doing (and get the results which we've always got) or be a bit more proactive imo.

There are plenty of examples of the LOTG which we don't enforce.

You're talking ideal world there but the fact that it's 2019 and still we have an issue with jewellery should encourage us to try a different tactic. I can't think of a single game I've done this year where I haven't asked someone to remove jewellery before the match. Now we either carry on as we have been doing (and get the results which we've always got) or be a bit more proactive imo.

Could I have these examples of LOTG we're choosing to not enforce?

None of this matters. The laws say that players cannot wear jewellery, and also state that this applies to referees with some exceptions like watches. If they are changed at any point in the future to include blades then so be it, but that isn't the case at the minute.

I think I am generally known as a laid back observer who sees things from a referee's perspective, but if I see a referee allowing players to wear rings, or even worse wearing a ring himself, I don't mind admitting that I will be taking him to the cleaners. He is making it harder for next week's referee, ignoring laws to suit himself, and as much as I try to side with the referee I wouldn't be able to do on that.
Your posts give the impression that you're a bit of a Union man. The fact remains that my wedding ring is not coming off because of scar tissue resulting from injuries as a goalkeeper. If you were to observe me to be an accomplished referee, yet chose to 'take me to the cleaners', then that says a lot about you. As and when I meet such an observer, that will be the end of my progression. Perhaps this kind of pedantic approach, is indicative of why the standard of officiating in football is generally way below that of other sports. Honestly, my wedding ring is more important to me than promotion

Your posts give the impression that you're a bit of a Union man. The fact remains that my wedding ring is not coming off because of scar tissue resulting from injuries as a goalkeeper. If you were to observe me to be an accomplished referee, yet chose to 'take me to the cleaners', then that says a lot about you. As and when I meet such an observer, that will be the end of my progression. Perhaps this kind of pedantic approach, is indicative of why the standard of officiating in football is generally way below that of other sports. Honestly, my wedding ring is more important to me than promotion
awww-bless.jpg
That brought a little tear to my eye @Big Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back