A&H

Jesus - VAR

The Referee Store
I’d like to find out what the actual frame rate available to the VAR is—I’ve heard many contradictory things. I also think that many of the MOE calculations are u realistic in the sense that players are rarely sprinting past one another perpendicular to the goal line—that’s a red herring.

But I actually think there is a pretty simple MOE solution. Pick the best frame. Look at it and the one before and after. Unless all three show the AR is wrong, call in inconclusive and stick with the AR. But that admits to the imprecision of VAR, and no one is really interested in admitting that.

Reactions: es1
The technology used by VAR was first intended for use elsewhere (horse racing believe it or not) and was co-developed by colleagues of mine. It's 50fps and it's uncompressed which means it's all i frames (like 50 jpegs at 50Hz). I'm a network Engineer, as opposed to a Broadcast equivalent, so don't ask me to cite great technical knowledge of the system, but the above statement is fact. Maybe I'll ask some more questions on returning to the office next week

Last edited:
But that would defeat the purpose of VAR. At a level that VAR is used, you would expect AR's to get the ones that are not tight right pretty much every time. Its the tight ones we need VAR for and to revert that back to the AR...
Sorry, but that's not what you'd expect. Or if it is, you can't have watched many Liverpool matches last season.

The technology used by VAR was first intended for use elsewhere (horse racing believe it or not) and was co-developed by colleagues of mine. It's 50fps and it's uncompressed which means it's all i frames (like 50 jpegs at 50Hz). I'm a network Engineer, as opposed to a Broadcast equivalent, so don't ask me to cite great technical knowledge of the system, but the above statement is fact. Maybe I'll ask some more questions on returning to the office next week
jpeg itself is compress so there is a loss of quality there.

So as a network engineer you should be able to answer this question. Let's say the the jpeg's are full HD and mid to high quality at 0.5mb per image. What bandwidth do they need to a VAR room which can monitor 5 games at the same time (round 38 had 10 simultaneous games though) and has 5 camera feeds from each game? And what would be the cost to having this bandwidth available?

Back