A&H

Jack Butland - Swansea vs Stoke

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Only saw a bit of the Swansea vs Stoke match tonight.

One particular incident has had the Sky treatment and been highlighted, replayed a few times, questions asked etc etc...

Stoke keeper Jack Butland completely balls up his control of a backpass and the ball runs away from him. Swansea player closes the ball down, Butland lunges in studs up and wins the ball. Referee Robert Madley deemed it a fair challenge and waved play on, much to Swansea's displeasure.

It appeared to be one of those challenges that whilst Butland got the ball and plenty of it, had it been an outfield player making it, many referees would have still penalised the player. Butland himself admitted after the game that he was lucky to get away with it. :confused:

The Referee Store
I was in the stadium and it was shown three times on the big screens (Swans may be in trouble for that - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/footba..._the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport)
Initial reaction (while most people were screaming were screaming for a Red) was that Madley would come back for a Caution as it was a pretty reckless challenge considering that he could be in no way in control of his body having left the floor and it caused Ayew to pull out anyway.

I'll probably be told I'm wrong or I'm biased because I'm a big Swans fan........Please don't make me talk about the rest of the game, it was too painful the first time....

Back