A&H

Isn't it great when EVERYONE agrees with you ...

OIREF!

RefChat Addict
This past weekend I refereed a good cup tie between two well matched teams. It had all the signs of being 0-0, extra time and penalties until I awarded the home team a penalty with 7 minutes left. Attacking player in the corner of the penalty area, going nowhere when a defender came towards him, raised both hands and just shoved him flat on his back. You really had to be there to understand how blatant it was. Cue mayhem from the defending team players and coaches but all directed towards the offending player rather than myself. Home team scored the penalty and won 1-0. I've never awarded a penalty which was so universally accepted, the losing team could even had a laugh about it after the match.

The Referee Store
This past weekend I refereed a good cup tie between two well matched teams. It had all the signs of being 0-0, extra time and penalties until I awarded the home team a penalty with 7 minutes left. Attacking player in the corner of the penalty area, going nowhere when a defender came towards him, raised both hands and just shoved him flat on his back. You really had to be there to understand how blatant it was. Cue mayhem from the defending team players and coaches but all directed towards the offending player rather than myself. Home team scored the penalty and won 1-0. I've never awarded a penalty which was so universally accepted, the losing team could even had a laugh about it after the match.
I did a cup tie recently. Great game, was 4-4 in the 81st minute and I awarded a penalty to the away side. It was an absolute stonewall, I was also in a great position to give it. When I hit the whistle there was a collective groan and even the home manager (who has a reputation as being quite vocal towards referees) had a pop at his player, rather than me.

Very rare that it happens, most of the time, even if it's nailed on, you get some complaints!

I called a PK in a 12U game some time back and the coach is yelling "she wasn't shooting." I knew he was a basketball guy, but really!

And then it dawned on me, he wasn't yelling at me, but at the player about why she was even trying to make the challenge she did as there was no reason to.

And then it dawned on me, he wasn't yelling at me, but at the player about why she was even trying to make the challenge she did as there was no reason to.

Oops.

I snapped back at a player the other day. He was shouting 'make the decision for eff's sake' and I snapped back 'I have, now behave', and then I realised he was shouting at his defender who dallied, lost the ball and conceded the free-kick in the resultant challenge because he didn't make the passing decision. :wall:

Had one like this last fall. Boys U16 match. I had officiated this team earlier in the fall and cautioned one of their center backs early in that game. In this game, the same kid has a borderline late challenge, but no contact. I loudly admonish the player to be careful about his late challenges. Not five minutes later, he commits a reckless challenge right in front of me. Easy USB caution.

Out comes the yellow card. Two of the kids' teammates yell, "Dude, HE JUST TOLD YOU!!"

One of them apologized for the player. He said the kid means well, but is just too aggressive sometimes.

I'm on a roll here! Completely different type of game this week with the home team outclassing the opposition and winning 7-0 including two penalties, both converted. Neither penalty was as blatant as last week but both very much in the stonewall category and no complaints from anyone. It'll probably all go pear shaped this week (I've been allocated quite a 'juicy' fixture).

Back