A&H

Is it time these are red cards?

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I played for 10 years and I understand ‘tactical fouling’ is part of the game. However, in my opinion, if a foul is reckless and there is no attempt to play the ball, it should be a red card. Obviously small trips, pulls, general careless fouls while a player is away should just be a yellow as they aren’t dangerous. In my opinion, when there’s a reckless foul and the ball is about 5 yards away, it is genuinely dangerous

I don’t disagree with the below decision (yellow card), but I’d like to see things like this become a red card in the future. What does everyone think?

The Referee Store
I played for 10 years and I understand ‘tactical fouling’ is part of the game. However, in my opinion, if a foul is reckless and there is no attempt to play the ball, it should be a red card. Obviously small trips, pulls, general careless fouls while a player is away should just be a yellow as they aren’t dangerous. In my opinion, when there’s a reckless foul and the ball is about 5 yards away, it is genuinely dangerous

I don’t disagree with the below decision (yellow card), but I’d like to see things like this become a red card in the future. What does everyone think?

Yes absolutely, but they won't do it cos they need the Megastars on the FOP

this sort of tackle can easily be removed from the game by introducing a 10 min sin bin for SPA offences. that would be my preferred option rather than red cards.
I don’t mean a red card for all SPA offences - just the SPA offences that can be considered reckless. A sin bin for SPA would be really interesting, although I wonder if that’ll lead to a higher tolerance of what is considered a promising attack

I don’t mean a red card for all SPA offences - just the SPA offences that can be considered reckless. A sin bin for SPA would be really interesting, although I wonder if that’ll lead to a higher tolerance of what is considered a promising attack

oh i see, yeah i think that's a workable idea, but i suppose it goes back to how you define 'attempting to play the ball'.

oh i see, yeah i think that's a workable idea, but i suppose it goes back to how you define 'attempting to play the ball'.
Yes, although it would line up quite nicely with the 'genuine attempt' element of DOGSO in the penalty area.

More specifically, I'd say this about not meeting the requirements of a 'challenge for the ball'. The foul play is more consistent with 'off the ball' incidents or Violent Conduct or a new definition of 'Serious USB'
But it won't happen

More specifically, I'd say this about not meeting the requirements of a 'challenge for the ball'. The foul play is more consistent with 'off the ball' incidents or Violent Conduct or a new definition of 'Serious USB'
But it won't happen
Yeah that’s a good point

Yes, although it would line up quite nicely with the 'genuine attempt' element of DOGSO in the penalty area.
If you align it to how it's applied to dogso then the majority of challenges with feet will still be permitted

I wouldn't mind at all if you could add reckless and SPA on the same play to count as two yellows. But the powers that be don't want that. And given how hesitant modern refs are to call fouls SFP, I doubt we would see it used very often even if it could be.

I have a very low bar for this, and have sent players off when the ball isn't even close to being playable and they have hacked the opponent down. My logic here is that kicking an opponent with no attempt whatsoever to play the ball is excessive force, on the basis that any force can only be excessive given they are just intentionally kicking an opponent.

There have been a few high profile ones as well, Rooney was definitely sent off for it and I'm pretty sure Xkaha was as well.

There was also one in a World Cup match, Serbia v Croatia 10 or so years ago. Was always going to be fiery

I have a very low bar for this, and have sent players off when the ball isn't even close to being playable and they have hacked the opponent down. My logic here is that kicking an opponent with no attempt whatsoever to play the ball is excessive force, on the basis that any force can only be excessive given they are just intentionally kicking an opponent.

There have been a few high profile ones as well, Rooney was definitely sent off for it and I'm pretty sure Xkaha was as well.
You're going to have to be more specific... 👀😂
Untitled.png

(I know the one you mean, it was vs Swansea in Oct 2016 - https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/arsenal-v-swansea.8436/ - I'd argue that Fernandinho one is more of a red than Xhaka's!)

Back