A&H

iPhone over watch?

Zimmyman

Ok I use REFSIX app on my watch and it’s brilliant records everything even has built in sin bin timers etc but now they have made it that you can ref the game on your phone as well it is really comprehensive and easy to use for bookings sin bins etc with complete game control
My main concern is carrying a phone around the pitch !! If thid comes off it will be great
Thoughts please

The Referee Store
Ok I use REFSIX app on my watch and it’s brilliant records everything even has built in sin bin timers etc but now they have made it that you can ref the game on your phone as well it is really comprehensive and easy to use for bookings sin bins etc with complete game control
My main concern is carrying a phone around the pitch !! If this comes off it will be great
Thoughts please
Please don't. As an observer I have watched referees lose focus and control as a result of inputting information on their watch after a goal/caution, etc. The comment which came from one technical area was that it looked like he was trying to place a pizza order. I agree technology has its place in football, but whipping out your Samsung Galaxy or iPhone Xs Max in the middle of a game, does not look good.

Totally fine to be using a digital system if you're the 4O.
When you're in the field, do it with a pen or pencil. You don't have to think so much, and you can recover from writing or an interruption more easily.

Please don't. As an observer I have watched referees lose focus and control as a result of inputting information on their watch after a goal/caution, etc. The comment which came from one technical area was that it looked like he was trying to place a pizza order. I agree technology has its place in football, but whipping out your Samsung Galaxy or iPhone Xs Max in the middle of a game, does not look good.
Totally agree with you but I must say using the watch to record a goal is so simple compared with getting out a notebook I’ve had no problems with it at all it’s just a flick across and a tap simples !!! With my head down writing on a card or pad I’d possibly miss more !! But yep you are right who wants to
Run around looking like your ordering your half time pizza

As a user of REFSIX for the last 2 seasons I have to say that it’s a brilliant tool for referees. For me, it’s so much quicker to record goals/cautions etc on my watch rather than getting my notebook out. Wouldn’t dream of
Taking my phone on to the field though

Don't take your phone out, that would look incredibly unprofessional, and for me that includes if 4th official. No problem with referees using REFSIX on their watches, as long as they still follow the correct caution procedure.

As a user of REFSIX for the last 2 seasons I have to say that it’s a brilliant tool for referees. For me, it’s so much quicker to record goals/cautions etc on my watch rather than getting my notebook out. Wouldn’t dream of
Taking my phone on to the field though
Totally agree with you they are great tools rest easy to use and a massive help why they’ve put it on the phone I don’t know ?

I simply can't see how this app can be a massive help when there's no problem to solve! :yawn:

Below are images for of Spinsto pda with holder. I am sure there would be equivalent holders for phones so you can wear them like a watch. But I agree with above, I think technology is ready for it, most referees are ready for it, but i don't think players are ready for it (yet), especially at grassroots.

1568459189103.png

1568459232208.png

Yawn ! Massive unproductive to the group things move on
Yawn... we need to learn the art of refereeing first. I've never had a problem recording anything without undue delay so what does this invention offer? The last thing i need to avoid being prey in a feisty adult game, is to start typing stuff into my wrist like the Predator

Yawn... we need to learn the art of refereeing first. I've never had a problem recording anything without undue delay so what does this invention offer? The last thing i need to avoid being prey in a feisty adult game, is to start typing stuff into my wrist like the Predator

Each to their own. I don't use my watch during the game, other than to record the time and heart rate / distance, but there is nothing wrong with those that do taking that approach. They don't actually type anything in, that is all entered pre-game, so there is an argument to say it is quicker than being distracted by writing into a notebook.

Like I said, each to their own though.

This is completely personal preference. I tried RefLive on the Apple Watch once upon a time, but I never felt comfortable using it. For me, a pencil and a reusable game card works. I’m pretty tech savvy, but there are times when old school still works better. However, I’ll never criticize a fellow referee’s system that works. If you like it and it helps you manage the game better, keep doing it!

Now as a parent on the sideline, I use RefCloud on my phone since it has a feature where I can share a real time scoreboard with family members across the country. I still keep time on my watch as well (you can take the ref out of the game, but you can’t take the game out of the ref).

Back