A&H

Interpretation of the Offside Law

BriggsRef

Level 7 Referee
What do people think of this interpretation of the offside law.

A free kick is awarded to Blues 30 yards from goal. White wall is lined up accordingly.
Three blue players start in position 3 yards behind wall, not obstructing the keeper, but with no players between them and goalkeeper.
Kick is taken. The white defensive wall jump in a deliberate attempt to block the ball. Ball spins off the wall into the box bounces and blue striker heads ball over the out rushing keeper.

Decision?

I awarded goal, as the blues were not interfering with play when kicked and the defenders made a deliberate attempt to block it by jumping.

If they didn't jump, would the decision be different as surely the intent is for the wall to block the kick.

The Referee Store
The way this is described sounds like Offside to me.

The blue players are offside when the free kick is taken and they receive the ball via a deflection so that comes under gaining an advantage as I wouldn't imagine that the wall deliberately played the ball to the Blues by blocking it

If they didn't jump, still offside

arguably depends on whether the player in the wall deliberately headed the ball in your opinion or if it struck his head. 'Ball spins off the wall' suggests that it wasn't a deliberate play by white, in which case blue players are offside imho

it depends on whether you think that it is a deliberate "save" or a deliberate "play" of the ball. If he "played" it deliberately then it is onside, if the defender "saves" it then he is offside. It sounds to me that the player has deliberately saved the ball therefore offside, from what I interpret.

Definitely offside - a 'deliberate attempt to block' is not the same thing as 'a deliberate pass', therefore counts as a deflection as stated above and offside. However, might be one of those where you needed to be there to see and it's easy to referee on the internet! ;)

I'd be saying offside too, as previously mentioned deliberately blocking isn't the same as deliberately playing the ball. If the player had purposefully tried to flick it back off his head to the GK it's a different story but you'd have to be pretty crazy to attempt something like that.

May be worthwhile noting that the vast majority of the time, shots which are touched by defenders will be generally be deflections. Due to the speed of the ball after a shot, they cannot deliberately play the ball, or play it as intended. Always remember this when you are next in the situation.

These videos may clear things up a bit.

Deflection from a shot:

http://garcia-aranda.com/offsideifab/eng004video007.html

Deliberate header back to keeper, no offside:

http://garcia-aranda.com/offsideifab/eng004video006.html

Deffo offside as a deflection off wall can't be considered as a attempt to play the ball

We had a long argument at a meeting about the new interpretation regarding whether the ball coming off a wall is considered on or offside. It was eventually agreed that it is offside, as with a goalkeeper making a save, rather than a deliberate attempt to play the ball. If it was the other way round, the wall jumping and not making contact would technically mean that the attackers couldn't be penalised for offside, as there only has to be an ATTEMPT to play the ball, and it doesn't matter if contact has been made.

We had a long argument at a meeting about the new interpretation regarding whether the ball coming off a wall is considered on or offside. It was eventually agreed that it is offside, as with a goalkeeper making a save, rather than a deliberate attempt to play the ball. If it was the other way round, the wall jumping and not making contact would technically mean that the attackers couldn't be penalised for offside, as there only has to be an ATTEMPT to play the ball, and it doesn't matter if contact has been made.
The fact that the wall is there in the first place would suggest it is a deliberate attempt to save, therefore a deliberate save.

That was offside. The players in the wall did not deliberately play the ball to the attackers (or, at least, to the place where it went). A deflection does not count.

Offside - may not have been interfering with play or interfering with an opponent but they gained an advantage by being in that position.

At our coaching night, we were advised that if the ball goes in the direction the defender was attempting to play it, then it's deliberate - so a swing and a slice of the ball is a deflection, a swing and a hoof in the direction he is facing is a deliberate play of the ball.

Obvious back-headers, and back-heels are deliberately playing the ball, but we are meant to judge whether the ball ends up travelling in the general direction that the defender intended it too.

I still reckon, if they build a wall for the free kick, then the ball hits the wall and ends up at the attacker's feet, then it would be a 'deliberate save' and therefore offside, as there would be no reason to put the wall there if it wasn;t to block a shot.

Did he deliberately play the ball or try and Block the fast moving shot? You cannot jump in a wall and deliberately play the ball like that as you don't even know it is going to come within playing distance. Offside all day long.

Back