A&H

Interesting weekend

Sheff Ref

Level 6 Referee
2 very different games for me this weekend.

Saturday - over 35s game. Top two teams in the league. Away team managers very vocal on the sidelines. Both sets of players very demanding on me to properly control the game which I did. Very high tempo and a good test of my fitness. One caution for a reckless tackle, thinking back I should have maybe given an additional caution for persistent infringement but the next tackle never came!

Sunday - under 18s game. Home team didnt have a manager on the sidelines so this was interesting for one thing and the administration took some effort on my part. Home team critical of offside decisions although I honestly gave what I thought was correct. Handball shout which I dismissed as from my angle it appeared to be the goalkeeper who handled (in the area). Home team criticised my distance from play. I have been trying to keep some distance as in the past I had been too close to play and got caught up in it. Second half much better and less arguing from players. Two cautions of which one caused me an issue. All players came together and I lost track of which players I wanted to caution. I didn't want to caution the incorrect player so I cautioned the one player for the original tackle and told all players not to react as well as taking a while to calm the game down.

In summary, good match control Saturday especially given that it was probably my toughest game to date but then control sunday was not good enough and im disappointed in my first half performance.

The Referee Store
Sounds good. Another handy (though slightly risky) hint I picked up (I'm full of them today!) - if you're not sure about who to caution and the players are still close together, move to one side and signal towards them with a 'yes please?'. Whenever I've done this the guilty party steps forward - perhaps Andre should've done that on the weekend...!?

Back