A&H

Interesting incident

Whilst I agree with these sentiments in the most part, I think particular emphasis should be given, as Rusty highlighted, to the circumstances.

For example, I wouldn’t be considering abandoning for a second, for two yellows in these circumstances, especially if they were technical offences etc. The player could happily sit on the sidelines for me.

However, the OP was OFFINABUS against a match official. Given the acute shortage of match officials we currently face, especially at grassroots, I wouldn’t be encouraging any of my mentees to be making exceptions in such circumstances in trying to keep the game going as the likelihood of further abuse is likely to be high (as we all probably know). The coaches in this scenario do not appear to be particularly agreeable either and as such I would encourage my mentees to present a binary choice to this team (player disappears or match abandoned).

I would argue there is another option. You say to the coaches that you should be insisting the player is removed, but because you know that would cause child protection issues you will let him stay. However, if you get even as much as a word of dissent from that player you will insist he is removed, or the game will be abandoned.

A&H International
There is also a similar case with a sent off physio.

From the op, could a coach and the player simply stand a further distance away? They should not be in the TA.

All grounds I ref in, if no fence or ropes around it there is at lease a line marking for spectators to stand behind. The best compromise can do is for the sent off player to be behind the fence, rope, line.

Back