A&H

Injuries

GazzaJAnimal

We all know the scenario, a player gets injured and the ref stops play for the physio to come on. The 'magic sponge' does its trick and the player is OK to continue. Now the player has to go off the FOP to then come back on again with the referee's permission, which always irritates the hell out of me because it's almost being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic.

I think that the player should now be able to continue to take part in the match after the physio has left the field instead of having to go off first. The reason I think this is twofold. If I'm correct in thinking that this was bought in to stop time wasting, then it is not neccessary any more because the referee will always add time on at the end of the half for injuries etc, with the board going up to indicate the amount of time being added on and the injured players team are not forced to be a man down due to injury and we'll not get deprived of any playing time.

What's everybody else's opinion on this?

The Referee Store
Imagine this in a different situation with regard to 'time wasting'. A player cuts his eyebrow, and his shirt becomes blood stained. You stop play for him to be treated, which may take a few minutes for them to find a suitable replacement. This could be completed off of the field of play, allowing the game to continue, but you suggest that it should be completed on the field of play and just make people wait? Also, if the player has 'hammed it up', then the referee can conveniently leave them on the sidelines for a few more seconds that they should do! :p teaches them a lesson!

could someone answer me a question, if two players from the same team go down injured i.e together then even if they receive treatment they don't have to go off as it would be too much of a disadvantage to that team?

Arran Williams said:
if two players from the same team go down injured i.e together then even if they receive treatment they don't have to go off as it would be too much of a disadvantage to that team?

Yesterday I was watching Watford v Cardiff (on TV). From a long throw, a goal keeper came to punch the ball out, did, for another throw in on the other side. Whilst doing this, he cleared both of his players, injuring both (one landed awkwardly, one took a knock in the air). Mark Halsey brought the physio on, and both players were treated (it took a few minutes). He then allowed both players (both centre backs from the defending team) to stay on the FOP, and defend the long throw in from the opposite touch line to the first one.

Just an example of what you said, but in a Championship table topper.

I think blood injuries are a little different, as they represent a 'hazard' to other players on the pitch.

Personally, if the player is on his feet and all's done and dusted in 20 or 30 seconds, then I just get on with it at lower levels. If I suspect he is trying to slow things down, eat a little time or just manipulate a rest for himself, then off he goes with the physio until the next out of play.

My initial judgement though, is always the incident itself, ie: is it a potentially serious one? If so, I'm a little more lenient. But the physio is allowed on to assess the injury only, if treatment is required then the player should be removed from the field and treatment given off the FOP. (By treatment I don't mean a quick squirt with freezing spray or a dab with the sponge!)

If player is bleeding, off he goes until I am satisfied that he has stopped bleeding, and is not returning to the FOP with blood on him or his clothing.

only reason i ask was that Barcelona v PSG midweek, Wolfgang Stark made the 2 Barca players go off. Maybe the rules are different in Champs League ;)

Maybe, especially with the Benzema kick to the head = no FK, Nani kick to the chest = RC! Different rules in the same competition!:confused: Although I think Phil Dowd Got it spot on today with the Zamora kick to the head!;)

I know! Even though he had to ask his assistant! But the assistant was "100% red card" in his words, could tell that from the the camera!

Red card was 100%
However Remy should of gone too according to the LOTG.
He had been booked and after scoring celebrated with fans (leaning into the crowd) so surely this is a second yellow?

Yes it seems a bit petty but every other time it's a yellow & I've seen people given a red for it

Back