The Ref Stop

Junior/Youth Injuries to young players - who decides on treatment?

RonnieM

Level 7 Referee
Was doing a school's game and had 2 separate injuries of under 14s players. I asked if they wanted the first aider/treatment each time and they did come on. But given that age are we the ones that make the decision or are they?

The Ref Stop
My stance on this is slow everything right down.

If you perceive they have a knock or injury at that age. Just walk up to them and talk to them before a restart. Ask them if they're sure they don't need anyone.

Then when they walk off to their position I ask for a quick thumbs up to make sure they are 100% good before whistling the restart.

I'm with ONR. There are the obvious ones that you can decide eaaily. Head knock, bleeding etc, get someone on quick. Or a little knock on the foot in a careless challenge, the player wants to get on with it, a quick "are you ok fella?", yeap. Get on with it.

It's the ones in the middle you need to be careful with, slow it down, look for visual clues, look at the player, look at the bench or team mates, talk to player, ask the manager if you think is a good idea. You decide based one what you think they want you to decide. Obviously also keep gamesmanship in mind.

Last edited:
Related to this, what's the general consensus of enforcing the LOTG regarding leaving the field of play having received "treatment" (though at this age it's rarely treatment and more of a check-up)? I've literally never done it at U13s and below given the age of the players. I do do it at U15s and up though (by quirk I've only ever done a couple of U14s).

Back