A&H

Indirect free kick inside the penalty area

Wolfy123

Can an indirect free kick be taken from the edge of the 6 yard box? If the offence occurs on the goal line but outside of the 6 yard box, where is the kick taken from?

The Referee Store
Can an indirect free kick be taken from the edge of the 6 yard box? If the offence occurs on the goal line but outside of the 6 yard box, where is the kick taken from?
Offensive IDFKs can be taken from anywhere inside the Penalty Area, except that they can't be taken from inside the Goal Area. For offences inside the GA, the kick is taken from the nearest point on the line which runs parallel to the Goal Line
Defenders (not 10 yards way) must be on the GL between the posts
Defensive free kicks can be taken from anywhere inside their GA

Reactions: one
Can an indirect free kick be taken from the edge of the 6 yard box? If the offence occurs on the
goal line but outside of the 6 yard box, where is the kick taken from?
1. Only if the offence occurred inside the goal area (6 yard box)
2. On the goal line where the offence occurred.

The section of the law on free kicks inside the goal area is quite clear and straightforward:
All free kicks are taken from the place where the offence occurred, except:
  • indirect free kicks to the attacking team for an offence inside the opponents’ goal area are taken from the nearest point on the goal area line which runs parallel to the goal line
  • free kicks to the defending team in their goal area may be taken from anywhere in that area

(There are other clauses with exceptions for players entering the field to commit an offence, offences off the field of play and specific exceptions in laws 3, 11 & 12 but they're not relevant here.

Coincidentally, I reffed my son't team yesterday (U10) and game them an IDFK inside the PA for ball kicked to keeper and handled
My lad immediately got the ball and took the kick without hesitation. He completely messed it up but he was so quick that it was entirely fair!
As a referee, I'm always surprised that adult teams rarely take quick FKs

Last edited:
Back