A&H

Incorrect Substitutions

Steve C

The Unfit one!
Is it just me, or have managers been a bit dopey this season in that, in about 70% of my games, theyve asked to make subs when the keeper has the ball in his hands from a save for example. Then it takes 5 minutes to explain that the ball isnt out of play so im not going to authorise a sub. I was doing an U18s college game at the county fa venue, 3-2 to blues, 3 mins left, keeper picked up a loose over the top ball, blue manager shouts 'REF! SUB!' and i shouted back 'No mate, youll have to hang on the balls still in play' while giving him the raised hand to try and signify no so i could keep my eye on the game, the keeper rolls it to defender and he just stops and looks at me and said 'what ref?' so i shout 'not you mate, play on!' then red striker pinches ball and scores. I then get surrounded by blues saying 'what the f*ck ref! What are you playing at?' So i tried to explain that their manager requested a sub but the ball was still in play so i didnt authorise it, the blue defender caught in possession then tried 'oh i thought you were talking to me ref', cue blues jumping on the bandwagon 'yeah ref come on' and i just said any more comments and I will yellow each and every person within 3 yards of me, 'ill answer questions but i will not take comments. This meant 'ok sorry ref' and then play just carried on as per.

The Referee Store
From how it's written I think you could have handled it slightly better. Letting the goal stand is fine. I would say putting your hand up to the manager is a mistake as this could have mislead the defender about what was happening. I think any signals I make are for the players benefit, not those off the pitch. Still they should know they play to the whistle.

Personally I ignore almost anything being shouted from the sidelines as 99% of the time they are moaning at me. If it's for a raised flag or injury, more than likely they'll keep shouting and say flag or player down and I'll take action from there if Im stopping the game or not.

Does sound like a bit of a dumb dumb manager if he doesn't know when he can make a substitution though!

The thing is though, i was stood centre of the pitch facing a goal i put my hand up and perpendicular to the player with the ball because I was showing the manager the 'no wait' signal, i told the player to keep playing before he lost the ball too

Back