A&H

Incident today

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Well today I had my first incident in the middle where there's been an accusation of racism. Slightly bizzare in nature how it unfolded if truth be told. I'm looking at the play in one half of the pitch and here a bit if commotion behind me so I then around and see two players arguing with each other as the ball goes out of play again. I stop the game and go and speak to them where one of the players accuses the other of calling him "49 stone". Its all calmed down in seconds and the last 15 minutes of a very close game ends without incident. As we're all shaking hands at the end, the manager says that he's going to report the player accused of calling the opposition player "49 stone" to the FA for calling him "the brown one".

There was no mention of this during the incident whatsoever so its a surprise to me and everyone else. Obviously I will be writing a report on WholeGame explaining the facts and leaving it there. Its the first time I've been involved in something like this and it's just depressing. It makes you a bit numb being in an environment where these accusations are made whether true or not. I was on the line at a step 6 game a few weeks ago where during a penalty shoot out some crowd members were filmed using disgusting racial language to a player. Football is a grim place to be at times.

Anyway, as for the report I shall just stick to what happened during the incident and after using player numbers (I assume not names) and leave it there. Advice appreciated on if I should do anything different. I've contacted the league.

The Referee Store
Its the first time I've been involved in something like this and it's just depressing
I'd take heart from the fact it's taken 250 games. I've not had anything reported in 200+ games
Just stick it into WGS 'as it happened' and move on

You need to report as much information as possible

- The name of the person that made the allegation to you
- The name of the player he is accusing
- The exact words or actions that he is accusing the opposition player of using
- What you saw and / or heard during the alleged incident

I'd take heart from the fact it's taken 250 games. I've not had anything reported in 200+ games
Just stick it into WGS 'as it happened' and move on

O yeah i won't take it to heart. It's just grim. Just puts a downer on an otherwise good weekend of football

As Rusty said, definitely use names - names of both players involved, plus the names of any managers or other players involved in reporting it to you. If you didn't hear any of the language used then make it clear in your report that you're only noting what has been told to you by others, but you still need to be as specific as possible.

Ideally as well you probably want to tell the accused what they are accused of and that the accusation must be reported.
I think this is probably best practise at step 6 and above, less practical on a Sunday morning.

As Rusty said, definitely use names - names of both players involved, plus the names of any managers or other players involved in reporting it to you. If you didn't hear any of the language used then make it clear in your report that you're only noting what has been told to you by others, but you still need to be as specific as possible.

This is what I did. Was very specific about the accusation and that I didn't hear it and the accusation only came to light after the game when the manager came to see me.

I spoke to the league sec just to fill him in. Its not the first time this has happened this season, its not even the 2nd.

Still, that's my bit done and on to the next game.

If a player makes an allegation that turns out to be false (eg witnesses says it's all made up etc) are they charged with anything?

Ideally as well you probably want to tell the accused what they are accused of and that the accusation must be reported.
I think this is probably best practise at step 6 and above, less practical on a Sunday morning.

Yes, at step 6 and above you should be getting both players in your changing room with reps from their clubs and effctively taking statements from them that you will then report.

That is obviously a lot more tricky at grass roots level.

You need to report as much information as possible

- The name of the person that made the allegation to you
- The name of the player he is accusing
- The exact words or actions that he is accusing the opposition player of using
- What you saw and / or heard during the alleged incident
I had the same situation last season, so just a heads up that you might end up infront of the national FA for a hearing, as I did. It was pretty much confirming everything in the post I’ve quoted, and then asked questions on the heat of the game, heat of the individuals and asking about any previous altercations.

And should never be the ask. It could make a bad situation worse. Most referees at grassroots don't have the experience/skills/training to manage it.
I've been involved with it twice as the observer, the referee wanted me in the room as an additional witness, and both times it worked really well. I should added that you get the players and their reps in seperately, not at the same time, so there is less chance for conflict.

I've also had it this season at grass roots, where a player told me on the pitch that a player had made a homophobic comment to him, which I hadn't heard. I told him to come and see me after the game, but he never did so I just had to report that he had made an allegation on the pitch.

I've been involved with it twice as the observer, the referee wanted me in the room as an additional witness, and both times it worked really well. I should added that you get the players and their reps in seperately, not at the same time, so there is less chance for conflict.

I've also had it this season at grass roots, where a player told me on the pitch that a player had made a homophobic comment to him, which I hadn't heard. I told him to come and see me after the game, but he never did so I just had to report that he had made an allegation on the pitch.
Excellent advice and the last part rather illustrates why the 'lower' you get the more difficult it becomes to follow the ideal procedure I guess?

Excellent advice and the last part rather illustrates why the 'lower' you get the more difficult it becomes to follow the ideal procedure I guess?

Absolutely you don't have a club secretary there like you would do at senior levels, and invariably clubs and players don't stay around after the final whistle at grass roots.

Absolutely you don't have a club secretary there like you would do at senior levels, and invariably clubs and players don't stay around after the final whistle at grass roots.

That was the big issue here. First time the home club had used these facilities which were essentially a village hall next to the pitch. This was locked so there were no changing rooms available so most people had gone 2 mins after the game had finished (it was very cold too so everyone went straight to their car after the game). By the time I'd spoken to the manager both players involved had already gone, along with everyone else.

Back