A&H

Incident in Wolves v Leeds match

DBrown67

I'm a new member and I joined to get some proper clarification on an incident in last nights match between Wolves and Leeds.

Tyler Roberts had a fierce shot at goal in about the 89th minute with Coady headed out. It was more like the ball hit him than him heading it, but the ball went out for a corner. The referee stopped play as he was concerned for the players safety (fair enough... but it's only a ball. Not an elbow or other challenge).

Even so... play resumed with the ball at the Wolves keepers feet. They got uncontested possession from that. How so? What if it had deflected in?

The Referee Store
Moving to correct forum.

But, as play was stopped in the penalty area, under the new law this season the ball can only be dropped to the keeper. Had it deflected in play wouldn't have been stopped so there would have been nothing to discuss.

Did the ball go out for the corner before the referee whistled to stop play? Might not be understanding it all correctly though, apologies if I'm not.

Had a look at the replay and the ball was in play just outside the area when the whistle was blown. Although the referee could consider play stopped when he decided to stop it which was slightly earlier when the ball was in the area. In either case all dropped balls are now uncontested. If in the area it is to the keeper, if outside, to the team that last touched the ball (which would have been wolves). So just unlucky for Leeds but all in accordance with law.

Back