A&H

Incident during goal scoring opportunity

SWRef

Hi,

Had a tricky one this weekend and wasn't sure if I made the right call, would be interested to hear your opinions...

Ball breaks around 30 yards from Blue team's goal, Red team attacking dangerously, they play the ball through to their striker, 1v1. As they do this, out the corner of my eye I spot two players having a bit of tussle after the tackle that lead to the ball breaking initially.

I've got no idea who initiated the incident, and from my view it's just a bit of grappling that tends to happen when two players are trying to stand back up after falling over eachother. I allow play to run for another 2 seconds and Red team score their chance.

Naturally complaints that I should have stopped play, I hear accusations from both players involved that they were victim to a headlock. I didn't witness this, probably because I was trying to see how the goalscoring chance progressed.

I end up booking both for AA and restarting with KO after awarding the goal. What could I have done differently?

The Referee Store
The perils of working on your own with only one pair of eyes to watch multiple incidents!

From what you describe, I think you managed it just fine. Certainly better for your match control than denying the Red team an OGSO without good enough cause.

difficult operating alone because as above, there is only so much you can do
The risk you had here was a violent confrontation off the ball by the two players, possibly escalating into a brawl
on the flip side, you have a scoring chance.
the time delay and the location of the bal are key here
ball in a nothing area, might be best going safety first, stopping play when you become aware of the tussle, warning or card for both, then back to the dropped
ball. You have lost nothing, neither team has been denied anything, and you have asserted your match control
in that attacking third, and if its only, 2/3/4 secs then goal, I agree totally with playing on, you cannot be everywhere and/or see everything.

sounds like you did well. Even to be alert and keep a trailing eye is a positive in itself.

Back