A&H

Implication that you're a cheat

The Referee Store
I had a) yesterday evening. Called the player and captain over and told him that I was not happy and insinuating or calling me a cheat would result in a red for OFFINABUS. The player came over at a break in play a couple of minutes later and gave quite a sincere apology. Good as gold for the rest of the match.

B) that would a strong word of warning as above

C) I have sent a player off for shouting this at me (aggressive manner). Captain asked politely for an explanation of what had happened, I told him, he said fair enough.

I was talking to the home team before yesterday's game and they told me "last weeks ref" had been called a "cheating c@nt". The ref called the player over and said "you can call me a cheat or you can call c@nt, but you can't call me a cheating c@nt". That tickled me.

Last edited:
my game this saturday is a team i have had problems with on two previous occasions. you might recall i mentioned in another thread that i had advised the captain to take the referees' course if he wanted to better understand the difference between a careless and a reckless tackle!

the captain in question trots around the centre circle making the sort of comments mentioned above. things like "he only sees red (his team's kit) not blue (oppo kit)"

he will be getting no lenience from me on saturday ;)

I was talking to the home team before yesterday's game and they told me "last weeks ref" had been called a "cheating c@nt". The ref called the player over and said "you can call me a cheat or you can call c@nt, but you can't call me a cheating c@nt". That tickled me.

love it :)

I had 'how much are they paying you' a couple of weeks ago. I really didn't know what to do. I had no doubt that he was implying that I was a cheat but when he hasn't actually said it, it's not going to look great on the misconduct report form. I really wanted to do it, but because he didn't say it outright I thought that I may just be creating problems for myself (fortunately it was after the game so I had a bit more time to think about it).

It all comes down to whether you find the comments offensive, etc. You might think " How much you being paid?" insulting but someone else might brush it off. If you are insulted, send em off. No doubt you will be criticised but each persons threshold is different. If you think a comment is insulting but a soft send off (e.g. what colour shirt you wearing ref?) it might be an idea to call the captain over, tell him what you think and that the next comment could result in a note direct word from you to the player. If you get another soft but insulting comment call the offender and captain over, explain to the player that you found the comment insulting and send him away. Remind the captain that you earned him and it is up to him to get a firmer grip of his players. Some comments may seem soft but are still insulting and still undermine your authority.

he ref called the player over and said "you can call me a cheat or you can call c@nt, but you can't call me a cheating c@nt". That tickled me.

HA! I had a good chuckle at that.

As for this, I would usually pretend like I hadn't heard the first two unless it was REALLY aggressive at which point I'd give him a stern look and a finger to the mouth. For C, I would probably caution a player if it was loud enough that both teams and the spectators could hear it. Otherwise, I'd give him a really stern dressing down at a break in play.

what would you be cautioning him for, Ryan, Unsporting behaviour, acting in a manner that shows a lack of respect for the game? dissent?

Back