A&H

Impeding keeper

Zimmyman

Goal keeper wants to kick ball out into play with us hands ie drop kick ! Question is an attacking player allowed to stand in front of him making it awkward for keeper to kick the ball out ? I had this happen the weekend and let play continue as I saw no problem with attacker standing in the keeps way I’ve not come across this in over 200
Games hence the uncertainty and this was an under 12 boys A division game thanks in advance fir any helpful answers

The Referee Store
Law 12 is your friend.

prevents the gk from releasing the ball from hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the gk is in process of releasing..

also

impedes the progress of an opponent without contact,

are both illegal.

the title, impeding the gk, no, you cannot impede the gk

Goal keeper wants to kick ball out into play with us hands ie drop kick ! Question is an attacking player allowed to stand in front of him making it awkward for keeper to kick the ball out ? I had this happen the weekend and let play continue as I saw no problem with attacker standing in the keeps way I’ve not come across this in over 200
Games hence the uncertainty and this was an under 12 boys A division game thanks in advance fir any helpful answers
Best approach is to call "Come away, 9" - as explained here, he cannot prevent the goalkeeper kicking the ball into play, and getting in the keeper's way does that.

On a side note, there is a myth out there that says it is ok as long as you stand outside the penalty area. As I said, myth.

On a side note, there is a myth out there that says it is ok as long as you stand outside the penalty area. As I said, myth.

also sure thing someone will shout, ' thats a booking', if you do penalise the attacker

Reactions: one
The only thing I would add is the attacker has a right to his position on the field of play. He doesn't have to get out of the way, just because he happens to find himself by chance in front of the keeper.

In practice though, and I suspect in your example, that is not the problem. It's the attacker 'shadowing' the movement of the keeper to stop him releasing, or moving in front of the keeper when he wasn't there to begin with. As above, 9 times out of 10, a quick shout to the attacker will resolve it without drama.

Of course, this was a bit more complicated when we had the 4 step rule, but that's a while ago ....

actually, anyone given a yc for SPA if say the gk was about to launch a ball to a striker who would say, be central and one on one?

Last edited:
actually, anyone given a yc for SPA if say the gk was about to launch a ball tp a striker who would say, be central and one on one?
Technically, I don't think it would even have to be that clear cut. Stopping a long throw out to a full back with 30 yards of clear green stuff in front of him could also arguably be SPA.

In practice though, not something I have ever done or can remember seeing, or am in a hurry to try.

What I do think is it is one of those where a second offence by the same player is enough for persistent - you are not surprising anybody with that (but you do have to have given a free kick for the first one, not just shouted a warning).

Technically, I don't think it would even have to be that clear cut. Stopping a long throw out to a full back with 30 yards of clear green stuff in front of him could also arguably be SPA.

In practice though, not something I have ever done or can remember seeing, or am in a hurry to try.

What I do think is it is one of those where a second offence by the same player is enough for persistent - you are not surprising anybody with that (but you do have to have given a free kick for the first one, not just shouted a warning).

yip, my example was not great, before someone else jumps in and says they going Dogso!

as ever depends on your game as a whole, if not 2nd time, then certainly 3rd time would really need be a caution.

actually, anyone given a yc for SPA if say the gk was about to launch a ball to a striker who would say, be central and one on on
Not for SPA, done it for unsporting behaviour. Team losing by one goal with about 2 minutes left, push everyone including the keeper forward for a corner. Defending keeper catches the ball and instead of doing what most keepers would and falling to the floor to waste time, decides to quickly kick the ball up field to one of his players that has broken forward. Attacking player comes across the keeper to block the kick.

Easy sell yellow card.

Speaking from experience of having an opponent stick his foot out just as I was about to kick the ball, resulting in me very forcefully kicking the guy's studs, if the attacker is attempting to block the GK's kick and makes contact with the GK, it can quite easily come under reckless play.

Speaking from experience of having an opponent stick his foot out just as I was about to kick the ball, resulting in me very forcefully kicking the guy's studs, if the attacker is attempting to block the GK's kick and makes contact with the GK, it can quite easily come under reckless play.

Yep, I second yellowed a striker in a supply league cup final for it. He dangled his leg to try and put the keeper off, keeper did a huge kick and followed through with the top of his boot into the dangled studs. Its incredibly dangerous, the force that keepers kick with means a very high chance of injury if an attacker tries to block them.

For me, I kinda look at where the play is on the knucklehead scale. Just getting in front, probably just a talking to. Foot out or actively trying to block a punt from close, likely to be a USB (also age and game temperature dependent).

Urban myth in playing and refereeing circles that this is an automatic card.

Unless it's a very specific circumstance it's never going to be SPA unless you're routinely giving 10 yellows for SPA a game.

When a player is loitering to prevent release sometimes it's better just to give an idfk before the goalkeeper does something silly.

Worthing noting it can't be classed as impeding as the ball is within playing distance of the goalkeeper.

Last edited:
Worthing noting it can't be classed as impeding as the ball is within playing distance of the player challenging the goalkeeper.
FIFY. But good point. And we don't need impeding as the LOTG already have a specific offense for interfering with the GK release.

I've only ever had it happen to me where a winger I booked when I think he was 14 he stepped in front of the keeper so he couldn't realease it out of his hands and he did turn his back but knew exactly what his doing I always advise the player's that are lingering around the keeper to get out of his way now so I don't have to book them now for not realising it so it doesn't become an offence

Back