A&H

I'm retiring while I'm ahead! ;-)

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Game on Sunday, good quality U14 Premier Division game - pretty straightforward, no cautions, only had to have a quiet word with one player for two fouls in quick succession, & tell manager to calm down for an overly loud disagreement about a "foul"

Blues - Good team, only dropped two points all season and County Cup finalists, are winning 1-0 - in control but can't get 2nd goal.

Last minute, red player bought down in pen area, award pen - amazingly no protests from blue - I must have got that one right!, reds score - game ends 1-1.

So far, so normal.

After collecting fee, a spectator approaches me and says "Ref, can I have a word please" , I'm thinking, oh oh, this going to be about the pen, and he then says "Just wanted to say, I've been watching football for many years and you're the best referee I've seen!"

Gobsmacked doesn't cover it, I just laughed and said "Thanks very much,that's very kind of you"!:)

It WAS 'only' U14 and as I said an 'easy' game to ref, but it does give your confidence a boost when someone says that. I realise, of course, next week I'll be the "worse referee I've ever seen" once more!

The Referee Store
Back