A&H

If That was a Penalty ? Man City will win the league !!

The Referee Store
IMO Mr Mariner has not had the most consistent game .....Come on SM that was not a Penalty !!!

Flash back to my game earlier!!! :D (just kidding)

Haven't seen it yet @Beezer . Waiting for highlights. I heard the talk sport commentary and they said it was very soft.

I was at the game so didn't have the best view, but it looked soft at best.

Edited to add: Just had a quick flick through the game. Very poor from Marriner; not sure how Mangala or Barry stayed on the pitch. Very soft penalty for me, Milner's reaction is the giveaway. He didn't appeal, just jumped up and tried to win the ball back.

Last edited:
If you gave those every week you'd be in double figures by half time!

Would be interested to hear what Marriner thought he saw and the reasoning.

Oh dear. That is incredibly soft. Can't see it as a penalty myself.

And what about the karate kick on eto by mangala? And then a further head kick from fernando on Barry? King fu fighting indeed.

Got to laugh at motd commentary. At the end Barkley is fouled and lampard gets a caution. Yet the commentator says it is Barkley who gets the caution??? Hang on, it was a caution for barkely???? Worlds gone mad!!

Just on Fernando's high foot, I watched the highlights to hear Gary Neville say, that's 'reckless' he's lucky it was only yellow. Reading a match report in the Daily Fail this morning too; Chris Wheeler wrote of Fernando "lucky to only see yellow for a reckless high challenge" :mad::rolleyes:

Yes, I love to see and hear that kind of nonsense from "professional" commentators. How hard is to read the bloody rule book (LOTG) when it is, i don't know, only your job to provide intelligent and accurate discussion on match topics/decisions of the referee.

In no other field of life would you have richly paid commentator experts who did not know the rules/laws of the subject they were commentating on. I hate to cross over to egg ball again (rugby) for comparisons - but someone like Brian Moore is a superb commentator. Not only is he enthusiastically passionate about the game, which comes across in his commentating, but he also seems to know the laws of the game inside out. For a welshman to praise an english rugby legend, and in public, that it quite some compliment! Doesn't seem to be a football version of him....

Back on topic - this is the kind of situation where having the referee speak to the media after games might help. What did he see, why did he give what he gave etc. I think it would. Why keep it all so secretive!

I assure you, Martin Tyler is the worst.
He was (maybe still is) a coach at a Ryman League Club (Step 3) and is often seen & heard berating referees attempting to quote stuff from LOTG but being so utterly wrong, it's almost embarrassing.
Clearly hasn't learnt stuff in there that he should have and tries to use his position as a 'famous' person in football to his advantage. Unfortunately for him, 90% of the referees who get his team know what he's like and shut him up early enough.
That doesn't stop him spouting his rubbish and rambling on Sky Sports!

Is there a good football commentator? Let's save time and try and find this Nessie?

Is there a good football commentator? Let's save time and try and find this Nessie?

Andy Hinchcliffe is pretty good; he tends to praise refs as much as possible and appears to have a decent grasp of the LOTG....

Steve Clarridge ......Tells it as it is ..one of the best ,maybe a bit to opinionated to get on the Tele?

Back